July 2, 2013

Cy - Mandala Quilt & Crochet Along

 The Crazy Mandala Quilt 

This week I have returned to stitching a little bit more on my Mandala Quilt to give these guys their black coats.


I only managed to get two of the twelve done, but any progress on it is good progress and closer to finishing it.


 Crochet Along (CAL) 

I wanted to do something different from the 3D 'flowers' that I have been making a lot of recently, so I opted for squares with a geometric pattern.
I'm not sure if the final item will be an afghan, a bag, a wrap or jacket yet. I'll decide later on when I have made a few more squares. 
At the moment I am just enjoying the relaxing crocheting without having to 'think' too much about the stitching.
I must admit though..... I'm not sure about how many more squares I can make before my FREE-FORM brain decides its had enough of regular, methodical, formal crochet
I have only made 5 squares and 2 half-squares so far, and I'm already feeling the restriction of the project.
I have a sneaking feeling that I am about to 'break free' of my CHAINS........... hahahaha
(pun intended, lol)

Anyway, here are my squares so far.

Bobble Arrows



Cluster Cross



A Battenburg Half-Square



A Battenburg Half-Square Stripe



Pastel Windows



Corner Stone Square 


Geometric - yes
Pastel - yes
Easy - yes
Relaxing - yes
Stash Busting - yes


Happy Stitching

12 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

I think I may be knitting my afghan (or whatever) instead of crocheting. I really want to learn some knitting combinations. I brought home a "perpetual calendar" of 365 knitting stitches from my mom's house. I believe it will have a daily incentive that "might" keep me motivated and learning.

I like your blocks, especially since you are stashbusting!

Judy S. said...

Nice work, Cy, but these squares don't look easy to me...... Is that Battenburg half square a special stitch? It's really pretty. I also like the bobbles; I can knit them but didn't know they could also be crocheted.

Judy S. said...

The early fall Vogue Knitting magazine has a very interesting afghan pattern that doesn't require any sewing to assemble the squares. Your calendar should keep you busy! Not that you aren't very busy right now. LOL

cq4fun said...

I do like the pattern on the first picture, though I can see it might drive a free spirit crazy. =) Love seeing the mandala progress.

ladyhawthorne said...

Great work, you have been really busy! I just love all the rainbow colors in your mummies.

Cyra said...

I think I'm probably heading for a tote bag on this project because I can't see myself sticking with making enough squares for an afghan. This is just not challenging enough for me.....unless.....hmmm...hold that thought, I've had an idea.

Cyra said...

Thanks Judy. The stitch for the Battenburg half squares (I named it after the colours of the Battenburg cake) are single crochet (US) or double crochet (UK) and is the basic crochet stitch.

Suztats said...

Those mummies look great in their little black coats! And your squares don't look all that simple to me! Nice hooking.

Cyra said...

"drive a free spirit crazy" lol. you hit the nail right on the head.

Cyra said...

Yes I have to keep myself busy because I've heard that the devil makes work for idle hands.

Cyra said...

Thanks Suz. Glad I've managed to get two coats on the mummies.

Judy S. said...

I forgot to mention how much I like the black edging on your "guys". It really seems to make the colors pop. I surely should have recognized single crochet! At any rate yours looks great!