July 9, 2013

Barbara's Big Crocheted Rug



I've been wanting a BIG cotton rug for my kitchen.  Something to catch the splashes that happen between the sink and the dishwasher. 


I had a pile of old sheets--stuff truly beyond use.  When my daughter lived at home she had a pet rat, Millie, and used to fall asleep with her in the bed.  Millie was very tame and loved these pajama parties, but she also liked to chew holes in the sheets.


I cut the sheets into one inch continuous strips like this.  Winding the strips into balls made them easier to handle.  I cast on 52 stitches with a size P crochet hook and did a simple double crochet until I got to the size I wanted.


I would have made it bigger, but I was afraid of making it too big for my washing machine.


This is how much was left over.  This project ate up some serious yardage.


On the Guernsey Shawl front, I'm on Chart B.  This has turned out to be my morning knitting: it requires me to pay attention, and to see what I'm doing clearly.  I watch an episode of Breaking Bad on Netflix in the morning, and knit a few rows.

8 comments:

Judy S. said...

Very cool rug! And whose tiny feet are those? I'm on chart B also. You're right about the paying attention part. ;>)

ladyhawthorne said...

Love the rug! I tried a similar one made using the handle of a toothbrush. It was very heavy! Is yours heavy too?

Cyra said...

Brilliant idea for the rug. Did you make the fabric basket that hold the balls of sheet yarn? Please can you share more pics of the fabric basket as I would really like to make one like that.
Your morning work on the shawl is looking good too.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

I love it, and the shawl.

cq4fun said...

I love that rug! I'll look for some old sheets at the thrift store, since I never have any. Your kitchen is so nice and big compared to mine. That shawl is lovely!

Barbara C said...

Those are my size 8.5 feet--not tiny, but the rug is BIG.

Barbara C said...

Oh yes, it's very heavy. That's another reason why I stopped when I did.

Barbara C said...

Cy, I did a blog post on the fabric basket that you can find here: http://xicanartista.blogspot.com/2011/07/fabric-basket.html The technique uses clothesline rope and strips of fabric.