June 18, 2013

Cy ~ My Embroidery of Chance update

Just a little bit more stitching (and playing) done on my CHANCE project.
Random choices made by the throw of the dice.
You may have seen the purple stitched circle before, as that was a previous CHANCE stitching. This weeks throws of the dice asked for "circle", "applique", "zig-zag", "ribbon embellishment", and "the number 3" amongst other things. 
This is what has randomly happened so far:


This is not finished yet. Lots more random 'stuff' to happen yet.

If you missed how this project started I have recaped a little bit on my blog 
(to remind myself too).
_______________________

And finally I am able to reveal my "other" project that has taken up a lot of my time and creativity.

The International FreeForm Fiberart Guild 
.
 2013 Challenge Exhibition has 
.
 GONE LIVE 

I have created the exhibition book for this year's challenge.
Fun or what!!!
This year our challenge was to create a FreeForm Fiberart work on the theme of
MOTHER EARTH.
46 participants from the Yahoo group IFFFG took part and their fiberart work is included in the book and the online gallery.
Once again, I have thoroughly enjoyed working with this very talented group of fiber artists.

Here is the link to the book MOTHER EARTH. All pages can be viewed in the preview.


ALL profits from the sale of the book go the charity (or charities) voted by the members of the Guild. 

Here is my fiberart piece for the challenge.


And my description for this piece in the exhibition is as follows:
__________________________

Beltane - a Gaelic May Day Festival, celebrates Mother Earth in full bloom.
It is a time when Mother Earth is fertile and abundant, half way between the Spring Equinox and the Summer Solstice.

My free form piece applauds the flowers that Mother Earth brings forth. The fiery reds and oranges that I have used are symbolic of the fires that were lit in the rituals of the Celtic festival. The fires were deemed to have protective powers and were used to protect the cattle and crops, and also to encourage new growth from Mother Earth.

Techniques used: Free form crochet, hyperbolic crochet, stitching, plaiting, needle-felting, and fused felting.
__________________________




Hope everyone is having a great week.

Happy Stitching

12 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

Your chance piece certainly is lovely. Different in a very good way.

Love your Earth piece, naturally.

ladyhawthorne said...

Yup the chance piece is fab, my favorite color. And the Earth fiberart is just WOW! Wish I could see all the pieces, bet they are great.

Suztats said...

The earth piece is just FABULOUS! All the techniques and stitches have come together to create a unique piece.
Your 'chance' work is so interesting-I love the idea of it, as well as your results.

Cyra said...

Different is good, thanks.

Cyra said...

Thank you Angela & you can see all the fiberart entries in the book preview or the online gallery. I'll post a link later when I find it.

Debra Spincic said...

What's happening with that hole there? Chance embroidery around it???

Cyra said...

Thanks Suz. I'm enjoying NOT having to make any decisions on the Chance embroidery. A totally free way of working that is good for me at the moment with all the new house build project thoughts and ideas that are making my head buzz.

Cyra said...

"tcht" You weren't meant to notice that Debra. I pulled a sticker off the back & the velvet threads came off with it. I'll let the dice tell me what to

Cyra said...

... cover it with.

Debra Spincic said...

Doesn't that torque you off?

cq4fun said...

Wow, that floral piece is amazing! I love both your projects, but that one is just so gorgeous!

Barbara C said...

I agree, the floral piece is stunning. There are so many textures!