May 28, 2013

Deborah: "New" UFO


This is another UFO from many years ago. It's from the book "Scrap Quilts" by Judy Martin.  I've finished most of the leaves and will add a flower in the middle of the triangles. The colors are much more intense in the photo than in reality.  It's frustratingly difficult to take a photo that is really true to how the piece looks in reality.  

I'll be writing a book about how to applique leaves when I'm done with this. :-)

 I removed some of the leaves and replaced them with with a different fabric. I may make more changes since this was started years ago and I am no longer crazy about some of the fabric choices.

I hope you all had a nice Memorial Day. The weather here in Georgia was amazing. 

9 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

I forecast a long winter of hand quilting.

Another lovely project! If you finish this and your other applique by year's end, that will be such an accomplishment!

Suztats said...

This is lovely, Deborah! I can see you really love applique, and you do it so well. How many UFO's do you have hiding in the cupboard?

Debra Spincic said...

Suz, a quilter never tells that secret!

Suztats said...

well, not being a sane quilter, I didn't know that!
lol

ladyhawthorne said...

It's just gorgeous! And definitely deserves to be finished!

Cyra said...

This is going to be another great project Deborah. I adore those purple flowers in the middle of the circle.
Good job you 'like' stitching leaves!!!
It is quite an unusual border design with the fabric triangles. I think that it would be too overpowering if the border roses fabric panel was just stitched around as one complete solid border, but I really like how the triangles and applique leaves "break up" the roses border. It's lovely.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

And, the effect is much more subtle in person. The colors in the photo seem much darker than the piece itself.

Yes I've become quite an expert at appliqued leaves.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

Lord only knows, Suz. This one is at least 20 years old. It's one of those things where I could not find the "right" fabric for the border. For years. :-)

Deborah McLaughlin said...

I'm on a roll. And, it helps to become addicted to TV shows like "Justified". Keeps me in one place for long periods of time.