May 14, 2013

Angela ~ Nicholas Almost Done


St Nicholas is getting closer to being done, in fact I expect to complete it this week.
This is the corner I have been working on with all it's stitches done.  
Then I started on the halo.  The one in the pattern was very small and wimpy so I enlarged it.  The peach colors close to his head are the original halo which was about 2 stitches larger.  I took those 2 colors and widened them on the pattern paper and just filled it in.

I also wanted to have the halo be metallic gold but not overwhelming.  To this end I stitched half crosses in 2 strands of DMC and am completing the crosses with 1 strand of a paler gold metallic thread.

I've added a bit more of his life to the post on my blog.

8 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

You are really staying the course with this year's needlework goals. Won't you be thrilled to have this piece done and hanging on your wall!

cq4fun said...

I'm excited to see it coming to completion. It's a gorgeous piece, and well worth the time and effort you've spent. I love your multi-thread idea on the halo. It's very effective.

Suztats said...

This is just stunning, Angela! I like the changes you've made in the halo. So close to being finished......

ladyhawthorne said...

Oh, yeah!

ladyhawthorne said...

I was afraid solid metallic would overwhelm it and the more brassy gold would have been too dark, I think this pale gold has worked out perfect.

Judy S. said...

It's beautiful, Angela. Kudos to you as those close color changes are tough. This is going to be beautiful when framed, a wonderful piece to display in your house!

Stiching4fun said...

Beautiful Angela, I love how you are doing the halo!

A beautiful piece of workmanship!















Cyra said...

That is a very interesting technique for the halo. So effective too. Great job on this Angela.