April 30, 2013

Debra : Crate Mats

I had a young friend ask me if I could make some simple crate mats for the all breed dog rescue in which she participates.  Every year I lug home a big bag of quilted fabrics from the Houston Quilt Festival.  I ask the APQS (longarm machine vendor) for the practice fabrics at the end of the week.  If you've been to any quilt show where they sell machines, you know how people come by and scribble with the machines. 

Because the batting has been quilted to death, it's not that good to reuse for new quilts.  It's good for wallhangings but I have enough of those right now.  In my effort to clean out some miscellaneous fabrics, I decided to try this quilted fabric for the crate mats.  It worked splendidly!  I backed these 16 mats with some gifted drapery prints.  This really opened some space in my storage area.  Great recycling project and the fabric benefits dogs instead of being dumped in the landfill.  I love a good ending to a story.

 

7 comments:

Judy S. said...

Good job, Debra! The Humane Society and doggies will love you.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

Great idea. At the shelter run by the vet my daughters worked for , they put old towels in the kennels. This is much better. I think I'll make one for each of my dogs; hopefully they won't chew it up. Hamilton has an old fleece blanket he sleeps on. Would he appreciate a handmade crate mat, I wonder?

Debra Spincic said...

This particular rescue was using towels too but wanted something a bit nicer for presenting the dogs to prospective owners.

ladyhawthorne said...

I might need to make one for my pet carrier, I could quilt that on my regular sewing machine. Great job Debra, once again. You Rock!

Suztats said...

What a fabulous idea! Good recycling, too. Way to go!

desertskyquilts said...

What a great use for those practice fabrics! How nice of you to take the time to make them.

Cyra said...

This is a lovely thing to do Debra. It's a win, win situation all round.