April 16, 2013

Deborah - UFO Progress


I knew this block was going to be challenging because of the number and size of the applique pieces but I am happy with the way the flowers have turned out. I had to use some glue stick on the back to help keep the edges turned under, but that worked out well.




These tiny buds are another matter. They are made by folding a 1 1/4" circle into quarters, then gathering them, and basting to the background. Then there is an even tinier piece that forms the base of the bud. As you can see I haven't gotten that far. I decided they will have to be slightly larger than the pattern piece to cover the bottom of these buds. If I thought those leaves were tedious, they are a breeze compared to the flowers and buds. What does it say about me that I actually am enjoying the process? OCD much? :-)

11 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

Those buds would probably stop me in my tracks! Good for you for moving forward!!

Suztats said...

No, just delighting in the details! This is looking very nice, and I really like the flowers. Funny just how much patience we have for doing the things we love, isn't it?

Debra Spincic said...

Isn't that the truth? One person's agony is another person's pleasure.

Judy S. said...

Love the colors of your flowers. Oh, to have one that shade in our garden! Those buds do look challenging. Good job, hanging in there!

Deborah McLaughlin said...

The devil is in those details!

Deborah McLaughlin said...

I'm really working to make my applique stitches invisible. These are so tiny, it's really challenging to keep them in place, turn under the edges, and keep the stitches out of sight. I'm beginning to twitch just thinking about it.

Cy said...

Lo, Deborah, it is well worth the effort of your anguish. These are fabulous. I have a story about how I came to LOVE needle turned applique, but I won't bother you with it here, lol.
You have some fabulously beautiful flowers, buds and leaves on the block. Hope your perseverance holds out to complete this.

Stiching4fun said...

Deborah, love your petals, hang in there on the buds you will get it! I love Applique!

Deborah McLaughlin said...

Four down, four to go!

cq4fun said...

It's going to be a beautiful block. That you enjoy it might say that you are a masochist. =) More likely, though, it says you are meticulous and love detail.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

A glutton for punishment, that's me.