April 30, 2013

Angela ~ Nicholas' Oranges


I got caught up in a pet disaster last night and totally forgot to post my weekly update.
I have made some progress on St Nicholas, in fact his oranges are nearly done.  Those oranges represent the 3 bags of gold he left in stockings drying before the fire.  The stockings belonged to the daughters of a poor man who had no dowries for them and so they would have to be sold as servants.  If you have ever noticed old time pawn shops, their symbol is 3 bags of gold also.

9 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

Interesting story.

Judy S. said...

Good job, Angela. I can't believe all the close color changes in this piece!

desertskyquilts said...

How exciting it must be to make progress on your piece. It looks as if you don't have that much more to do!

Cyra said...

Hope the pets are ok Angela.
Not too much more to stitch on this cross stitch picture now. It is a really lovely picture, and I love the colours in it. Very rich, but I suppose that is the theme somewhat too. Double meaning everywhere.

ladyhawthorne said...

The cat is fine since I restrained myself from chucking him outside where he has never been. However I am still pretty angry with him and hope I can fix my table so it can be used again.

ladyhawthorne said...

Just this corner and then a halo!

ladyhawthorne said...

It has 72 different colors!

Deborah McLaughlin said...

Uh-oh. I'm not going to ask for details! :-)

Your embroidery is beautiful although my eyes are twitching just thinking about having to do those small stitches....but it's going to be stunning!

Suztats said...

This is beautiful Angela! Such painstaking work, but the result will be a stunning piece.