March 3, 2013

Suz-Update-Tatting



Ankars Tatting

At the Online Tatting Class we're learning about Ankars tatting, used in making jewelery. Rings tatted and joined to rings and through previous rings makes for an interesting (and challenging) design. Due to my intermittent internet situation, I missed the first class, but I'd printed out the instructions during one of those times of access. 
The first attempt was in a lavender HDT size 50 and a DMC silver thread. I had a big error on the second half of the pattern, as everything was backwards! Acckk! The beads, added after the base is tatted, help to cover up my mistake, thank goodness.



















So I had to make another attempt to get the pattern done correctly.
 I used a mint green thread, size 30, with a Coats gold metallic thread, and I was pleased with the result. The beads are hematite rounds.
Although this was tatted with a larger thread, the brooch design is smaller than the purple one, so I do need to lighten up when I'm tightening those rings!
And that's all I accomplished last week, given the three days I spent online with technical help trying to resolve our internet difficulties, and hours spent shoveling snow that's fallen in the last 4 days!
We now have internet, but no satellite phone. sigh.
Well, I hope you had a wonderful couple of weeks.
Thanks for visiting. 
Hugs from Suz

10 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

I can see all kinds of interesting uses for your tatted brooches. Will you be adding the beige one to your rose textural piece? I think it would be a lovely addition.

Internet troubles are such a pain. Hope that is behind you.

ladyhawthorne said...

These are cool! Would be great as hair decorations too.

Cy said...

Ooooh! These are rather interesting 'playthings'. So many uses for them too. Hair slides, brooches, bag adornments, crazy quilt embellishments etc.
Fun, fun, fun.

Judy S. said...

Fun! Hope your technology issues have been fixed!

desertskyquilts said...

I'm just a barbarian. I like the first one better, though both look great! =)

Suztats said...

Well, it's not over yet........Hopefully it's now straightened around.My internet, that is. That sort of looks beige in the photo, but it's mint green and gold. That is a good idea, Debra, to make some in cream or beighe for my CQJP blocks! Thanks.

Suztats said...

You betcha!

Suztats said...

Another good idea!

Suztats said...

i hope so, too, Judy.

Suztats said...

I like the colours of the first one better, though the tatting is better in the second one. I think I'll keep both of them. ;-D