March 26, 2013

Debra: WIP: Christmas Wallhanging

I solved my doily issue with the Christmas wallhanging.  I was able to use heavy spray starch to stiffen the doilies.  I was clearheaded enough to lay down a piece of denim on my ironing board and use it as the dropcloth.  Good thing! When I was done with the 1st panel of doilies, the denim was stiff as a board!

I think I will be able to stitch all the 1st panel doilies (with the exception of the ones overlapping to the 2nd panel) without sewing the 2 panels together.
In other words, I am going to stitch down the length of the 3 panels with as many doilies as I can.  Then I'll sew the 3 panels together & add the overlapping doilies. 

I have a longstanding CQ UFO that I tried to stitch as one large unit and I still remember it not too fondly as a pain to stitch.  So I think this will work better for me in 3 panels first and then as a full piece.

Current Question:  Handstitch the doilies vs. invisible thread zigzag by machine?

While I am procrastinating deciding on the sewing application, I started another wall panel of Jacobean florals.  I've posted photos on my blog.  I think it is safe to say I have enough handwork now for the rest of the year.  It may be time to get back to patchwork quilts!

14 comments:

Judy S. said...

It'd be quite a long process doing it all by hand, wouldn't it? I am suspicious though of the wearability of invisible thread as I've seen it disintegrate over time on my sheers. And we don't get a whole lot of sun as you know.

Debra Spincic said...

I'm not sure I can devote the time to so much handwork . . . . and this wallhanging would be on a wall for about 4-8 weeks a year. I think I would put it up early Dec and take it down late Jan.
Overall, I am a machine gal. Even taking it down off my design wall to pin all the doilies seems daunting.

Cy said...

Machine stitch away Debra. It'll work out fine.
Personally I would hand stitch though, but that's just because I'm a glutton for punishment.
No actually, I think I would machine stitch it after all.
Ah well, I'm undecided on the matter.
Over to you then.....

Debra Spincic said...

Girl, that was a lot of help. (snicker)


Suztats said...

If you want to keep the integrity of the doilies, then I would say hand-stitching is the way to go. Otherwise I think a small zig-zag around the outside of the doily in a matching thread would work well,(or another small decorative stitch) and you'd just have to hand-tack the center or add a button or a bead to secure it. Hmmm, a silvery crystal would add a nice touch of bling......

cq4fun said...

Oh, I like Suz's plan of a button in the middle! I wouldn't use the invisible thread, but I think it would be fine to machine stitch them down with matching thread. A tiny zigzag or even a straight stitch should be fine and practically invisible, I would think. Ever since I saw all those doilies last night, I've been tempted to buy and make some more than I've purchased for use in cq. I'm telling myself no!

Debra Spincic said...

Yea, well, ever since I saw those doilies on the fishing line hanging from the door, I am thinking that is the way to go. Forget the wallhanging!!

ladyhawthorne said...

Go for the machine stitching with the invisible thread. If it breaks down later on you can always repair it. This way you get it done quicker and get to work on more things.

ladyhawthorne said...

Where was this?

Debra Spincic said...

Doily Ideas

compliments of Susan!

ladyhawthorne said...

OK, I'm in love with the doilies on the white table cloth.

Debra Spincic said...

I know--I have 2 tables in my living room with skirts and I could see doing this (like tomorrow!). Really a pretty look for summer.

Suztats said...

Great for summer, but it would look good for Christmas on a red or green tablecloth, or good for winter on a silvery blue tablecloth.......I also like them on the glass door.

Debra Spincic said...

An idea that came to me--I could embroider the red panels and then hang the doily/snowflakes independently in front of the panels.

It would require a lot of handwork on the red panels that I am probably not willing to do but then, I might . . . .