February 11, 2013

Susan: One Seam Wonder

This is it for the week:


Click to enlarge. Not that you really need to. Here it is in situ:


The problem I'm having getting started is two-fold. One, let down from pushing so hard on Flower Fairies. Two, seams like feather stitches with little beads on them don't seem suited for this project. This block is actually the February block, and it's starting to talk to me, so I'll be working all after on it today. The one seam that's finished is one I planned from the moment I spied the seam that inspired it. =) I'm trying to decide if every block will need bunting, or only some of them.

Goal for this block: use stem/outline stitching and herringbone, plus embellishers.

9 comments:

Cy said...

That is a delightful little girl. Lovely idea to imitate bunting. I can understand your dilemma about some stitches not being suitable for this project. I suppose composite stitches might be your best bet, other than inventing your own stitches. That would be a fun way to go, lol. I look forward to seeing how you tackle this one.

ladyhawthorne said...

Great start! I think the colors will play into it more than the particular stitches. However if you think one won't work, don't try to force it, just save it for another time and place. Love the idea for this piece.

Suztats said...

Your bunting colours are perfect for the theme. They remind me of gathered streamers looped across a wall as decorations for a party. I like the white stitches on the white fabric- has a nice sheen to it. The 'silky' girl is a cutie!

Debra Spincic said...

I agree with Cy that composite stitches may be the way to go. That being said, I could see feather stitching working with little stars at the ends of the stitches. It could look like handwriting.

Barbara C said...

The bunting is a nice match for your block. I agree with Debra, stars would be nice, and maybe stitching that imitates fireworks or flags.

cq4fun said...

Did you recognize your stitch? =)

Cy said...

Oh yes, I do now. You 'upgraded' it to a trio, lol. Great work re-inventing this stitch hahaha =)

cq4fun said...

The minute I saw yours, a pop went off in my brain and said, "Banner!" =) Thanks, because I don't think I would have thought of it without your seam. =)

cq4fun said...

Thanks for your kind comments and suggestions. I will consider them all over the next few months. Some of the blocks are very different colors than these two, and I see a possibility for feather stitching, maybe even with NO embellishing at all. My first thought on this block was a flowered vine up the left side and over the top of the girl. Just didn't fit my plan for this group of blocks. LOL