February 17, 2013

Debra: WIP--Christmas Wallhanging

With 4 days spent serving jury duty & a looming deadline for my Mother & Child wallhanging, the Christmas wallhanging got pushed to the bottom of the priority list.

I did manage to decide on some very large (oversized) snowflakes as the main subordinate embroidery with the Santa.  I plan to have these and some large plastic glittery snowflakes all over the surface of the wallhanging.
While looking for something else I saw a large doily with smaller sections that looked like perfect companions to the embroidered snowflakes.  I'll be adding them to the snowflake mix.

I haven't gotten the nerve to cut my Santa into a patch yet.  I might just pin the paper pattern in his place and do all the embroidery then use him to hide the connections (so attach him last instead of first).  But, it would be fun to look at him while stitching the seams.



I tried to stitch a silver snowflake directly to the block but that didn't work.  So, I patched a snowflake into the spot.  I'll do some chunky stitching to cover the edges. 


That's it for me for the week.  Hopefully, I can get some handwork done on this block for next week.

12 comments:

Suztats said...

I like your snowflakes! They'll fit perfectly with the theme.

Debra Spincic said...

Big fluffy fake snowflakes are about the only ones I like!

Barbara C said...

The machine embroidered snowflakes compliment the crocheted one very nicely.

ladyhawthorne said...

I agree with you on the snowflakes, fake is definitely better!

ladyhawthorne said...

Are you still going to use the angels and such you were working on last year?

Debra Spincic said...

Angels? those little cross stitch ones? No, I think I may go for bigger motifs this time around. I have been vacillating though because I have a lot of little motifs and charms I have collected. I could do an outer border with smaller things (you know, sometime between midnight and 1 AM when I am doing nothing but sleeping!) so it's not a done deal!

Cy said...

Love your doily/snowflakes. And that machine embroidered one is absolutely gorgeous. I'm looking forward to seeing the hand stitching that this block is going to get next week. Hope nothing else happens to ruin your stitching plans for the week.

Cy said...

Haven't you learnt to sleep faster yet?

Debra Spincic said...

:-))

Judy S. said...

LOVE those snowflakes! (We saw some real ones on our way through MPLS that weren't nearly as pretty.) Can't wait to see what you do to Santa.

Stiching4fun said...

Life does get in the way at times.

I do like snowflakes and the neat Santa!

cq4fun said...

This is going to be so GREAT! I love the combination of your machine embroidery and the crocheted piece. I'm looking forward to seeing a picture of Mother & Child at some point when you can post it. I have enjoyed the little updates I've seen from time to time.