February 10, 2013

Debra: WIP-Christmas Wallhanging

This week I was able to get the 2 main focus embroideries stitched for the central panel of my Christmas wallhanging. These are both extremely stitch intensive designs (even for an embroidery machine). The Santa took about 2 hours to stitch while the Victorian Tree came in a little over 3 hours. Those are pure stitching times; not prep time!



I love this Santa and was so pleased to find him holding a Cardinal since other blocks I have already embroidered (last year) have cardinals.  Look at the adorable rabbit peeking out of Santa's sack!


Here's the view looking down at the hoop on my machine.  I have a Babylock machine with 6 spools so I can run 6 colors before I have to change threads.  It stitches 1000 stitches per minute.

 
The completed Victorian Tree is stitched on red linen


The detail in this embroidery is really amazing.  The digitizing work is the best on the market.

I also have all the very large CQ blocks pieced.  They look huge!  I am reminding myself that a good portion of each block will be covered with the focus embroidery. 

Next step is to lay out all the blocks and plan the trims so they run in pleasant directions.
Nothing more can be done, however, until I finish my current Mother & Child crazy quilt that I am stitching for the Sacred Threads show.  With a looming March 1st deadline, it is my priority piece at the moment.

12 comments:

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

Amazing, stunning, wonderful - what more can I say? The designs are works of art, so detailed, such texture with delightful rich colours. Love how you've used red fabric for the green embroideries. Looking forward to seeing them in their blocks.

Debra Spincic said...

I am planning lots of white & red trims and lots of white embroidery so red just seemed the only color that would work. I had thoughts of cutting out the Santa and "patching" him on the block with buttonhole but now I am not sure. I may have to repiece the center blocks. The embroideries are much more dominant in stitch than they were in paper. They may need larger blocks. Always a gamble.

ladyhawthorne said...

It will be fabulous! I love your cardinal too, one of my favorite birds.
It's amazing how much detail the embroidery machine actually gives and I like the thread as it has a sheen to it.

Debra Spincic said...

The detail is only as good as the digitizing that is done. The digitizer takes the original drawing & turns it into a file the machine can read and stitch. It's really an amazing process.

I am using primarily rayon threads for the designs.

Suztats said...

WOW! I love the embroideries! They look fantastic, and I can't wait to see more of your Christmas project. Santa is so jolly. The cardinal is cute, and I wonder what secrets he's sharing. I envy you your babylock......I have a 30-year old Janome that is a tension terror.......ah, well.......I'm not the best machine sewer anyway.

Debra Spincic said...

Have you had your Janome serviced? I have a Janome domestic machine and it runs like a top. Janomes are supposed to be fine machines.

Don't envy my embroidery machine. I am willing to share my embroideries. If there is something you want or need, email me.

Cy said...

It's going to be a jolly old Christmas at your place this year. That star atop the Victorian tree is fabulous, actually the whole Victorian tree is fabulous. That's a great machine you have there.

Debra Spincic said...

Thank you, yes, I feel like I should be using it every day!

Barbara C said...

I love that Santa, this is going to be a beautiful quilt. (Now if I only I could stitch 1,000 stitches a minute!)

Suztats said...

I had it serviced about 6 years ago (I know, I know, but there's no one up here that I've found to service them.....)and it sat mostly unused until a year ago. I do clean and oil it regularly, but......) ....hanging my head in shame......the tension thing has always been a bit of a problem........

desertskyquilts said...

Beautiful embroidery pieces. It's going to be another beautiful piece! I know whatever design decisions you make will be just right.

Debra Spincic said...

Thanks for your vote of confidence ladies!