February 19, 2013

Deborah - CQ2012 - Finished



I failed to post my finished CQ2012 to this blog, so here we go.
The Wednesday Quilters

In memory of my mother & her sisters:




Peggy Singley

Nell Miller

Emma Hughes

Polly Morris

Ella Mae Hawkins

The sisters met on Wednesdays at Gladys's house where she had her quilting frames set up on her back porch.  I quit working full time after my first daughter was born and Allison and I became regulars. A few years later Elizabeth came along. Two of my cousins had joined the group and it became an old fashioned sewing bee - quilting, sewing, embroidering - and lots of coffee and good things to eat and conversation. The gatherings continued until the sisters had to move from their homes of 50 or more years. They had lived in the neighborhood since the 1930's, and all but one sister built their homes there after they married. 

I have many very happy memories of those days and I'm happy to have this to pass on to my daughters to remember these good strong women.

10 comments:

cq4fun said...

Thank you for sharing the story of these sisters. The finish is absolutely beautiful. I have to say that, in looks, Nell, Ella Mae and Polly would fit right in with my mother and her two sisters! How wonderful that you had that kind of experience, and all with family members.

ladyhawthorne said...

I'm so jealous! Not only that you had those lovely Wednesdays but of the quilt too, it is gorgeous.

Cy said...

Overall, a very expressive quilt. Lovely to have this on your wall to remind you of those happy days with your family.

Debra Spincic said...

Such an accomplishment for you, Deborah. Mark this one off the Bucket List! Proud of you, girl.

Suztats said...

It's a beautiful finish, Deborah. What a treasure to have this memory quilt. Every time you look at it, you'll be reminded of the wonderful times you all shared.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

Thank you all. I'm grateful for the support and encouragement this past year.

Judy S. said...

What a wonderful treasure! Nice work, Deborah. Have your daughters seen it?

Deborah McLaughlin said...

Oh yes. They are fighting over it. :-) (not seriously)

Barbara C said...

This is just beautiful. What a great tribute .

Stiching4fun said...

What a beautiful work of art!