February 24, 2013

Deborah: CQ 2013 progress

Not much to report ( and late again ). I spent most of yesterday working on AAQI quilts, most of today cleaning house and baking cookies. It's Purim and I always make hamentaschen. These have strawberry preserves, peanut butter & chocloate fillings.

Anyway, when I wasn't doing the above I did manage to get just a little done on the CQ:

I trimmed enough from the applique blocks to make them 8", and added the borders. I don't think I have enough of the lighter pink fabric to add a border around all four blocks. Someone mentioned doing a narrow border using the batik I like so much. The fabric here may still be too dark or too much of a contrast with the narrow borders between the appliques. I may have more of the pink stashed somewhere. If not I probably have something similar I can use.


This is the darker print with no batik. The print fabric appears a little darker here than in reality. 
That's about it. The weekend goes by too quickly, especially Sunday it seems.


10 comments:

Barbara C said...

Nice sashing between the applique blocks, the touch of pink is echoed in your border fabric. I think that narrow border fabric is too dark, though it does echo the fabric in the brown basket. Those are some yummy looking treats.

Debra Spincic said...

I like the new arrangement of the blocks very much!

Judy S. said...

You moved the baskets and added sashing; it's looking great. I think it's really hard deciding on borders.....

ladyhawthorne said...

Those blocks look very nice indeed! An so do the cookies....mmmmm...I'll try a chocolate one please.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

I think the original arrangement is probably one reason these blocks stayed hidden away for so long although it took maybe 15 minutes to take them apart and rearrange.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

You're not kidding.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

The cookies turned out to be pretty good but I'm happy to make them only once a year. They are really messy to make and I hate cleaning up.

Cy said...

I have a question - about the cookies - Do they all have the strawberry preserves, peanut butter and chocolate fillings in each, or do they have just one of the individual fillings only? Please feel free to educate me on the Purim and hamentaschen subject.

The narrow batik strip looks great against the blocks btw. Still not sure about the tan fabric though. Is there enough tan fabric to use as the binding? I'm sure it would be better used on the outer edge.

Debra Spincic said...

I know, isn't that crazy? I've done the very same thing and when I pull the project back out, I want to slap myself for not fixing the issue in the 1st place. I think we get frustrated or stuck.

cq4fun said...

I like the rearrangement of the blocks and the separation. That border fabric was my favorite of the fabrics you showed, but I didn't like it as a border then. Now it looks good. I am pretty sure I have that in my civil war collection, too. =)