February 3, 2013

Deborah - Closer to the Finish Line

I worked a little each evening to get to this phase of my CQ. The borders had to come off, I had to interface them (as Debra suggested), stitch them back on and bind. Yesterday I go to this point:

Using a very light weight interfacing did the trick. I did not imagine that fabric would stretch so much. It wasn't too bad removing it but took some time.

This morning I pinned the binding which has really become a facing and attached the lace to get an idea of how that was going to look. I set the lace back about 1/4 inch so that it looks like a narrow border or piping between it and the quilt itself. The quilt looks much better in person than in this photo.
This quilt was not without challenges, as all of ours have been, but I've managed to get it put together and I think I will be pleased with it.
I want to write up the story behind the quilt to print out on a fabric sheet & attach to the back of the quilt. I'm not sure my daughters remember the aunts and I want them to.

"Crazy for Elvis" is registered with the AAQI and will be in the mail tomorrow!




This week I'm taking a look at my quilting goals for 2013 to decide if what I initially planned is still what I want to do. I do need to set goals or I will get nothing done. Right now, the UFOs in my closet are really on my mind. I have several projects that I did put a lot of work into and I want to finish them. I also have a few ideas that never got past the wishing phase. I've also got several AAQI projects that area bout half finished and since that is winding down, I would really like to get those done and in their hands. I have not done as much for that project as I would have liked to do.
I hope to get the CQ DONE TODAYh, she said optimistically, and will do if my back holds out. 

18 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

One thing I found to be very valuable was to stitch the (solid) trim between the border and the body of the CQ. It tidies up the line and makes a real distinction between the body and the border.

You could easily do the same with a ribbon or length of bias tape. It would give a nice narrow border effect. If you are at the stage where you can machine stitch it, I would do that (with lots of pinning).

Believe it or not, the next CQ will be easier! It just takes experience. You've done a swell job figuring out the various stages of this piece.

Barbara C said...

Your blocks looks wonderful together Deborah. You've done a beautiful job and your photos and stitching are very nicely integrated. The construction of these CQs poses lots of challenges, doesn't it? I'm at a similar stage with my project, and there are so many problems to figure out. I like the lace border as a transition between the quilt and the border.

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

The borders make a lovely frame to your completed blocks and I like the idea of the lace as it will add texture. Writing up your story will be a wonderful and permanent record for your daughters of their aunts. Feel sure the eventual recipient of your Elvis block will be absolutely delighted.

Debra Spincic said...

One thing I keep meaning to say to you about CQ--I know you have an extensive garment sewing background. When sewing CQ, rely on that knowledge more than your patchwork quilting knowledge. Items, like interfacing and inner linings, are something you would understand more from sewing than quilting.

ladyhawthorne said...

Your CQ is so wonderful I'll bet your children will fight over who gets it one day. Writing up the history is the best idea. I have family photos from before I was born and even my Mom doesn't know who all the people are.

Suztats said...

Well, there were moments I was tempted to roll my quilt up into a ball and toss it off the back deck! The final stages have been frustrating to me.
I like the lace you've added. It picks up the warm tones in your blocks and makes a nice frame around them. I look forward to seeing it all back together.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

Same here - hundreds of them. We tried to identify them before my mother got sick (Alzheimer's), but there are still many that we have no idea who they are.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

I've learned a lot, and I guess the only way to do it is jump in and learn from your mistakes. I've said "if I had it to do over" about a million times. I would NOT use the same fabric for the border. It gave it a very rich look but it's thick and difficult to press, doesn't stay pressed, so the corners a bulkier than I like and the seam isn't as crisp...but it is what it is as they say. I'm sure I am more critical than other people would be.

Debra Spincic said...

I know people cringe when they see old photos at the flea market and such but really if you have no idea who in the world the people are, what are you going to do? I guess some folks feel that the pics become trash or supplies for craft projects.

Debra Spincic said...

Some times the best lessons are knowing what we would never do again!
I don't like sewing with the "evening gown" type of fabrics. You'll find very little of them in my pieces. Why purposefully give myself a headache?!

Cy said...

Well done Deborah for getting that far with your crazy quilt. We all found those little (and sometimes bigger) challenges along the way. Where would we be in life if we didn't have these hurdles to jump over and get better at anticipating the next hurdle.
Great idea to have the family documentation to accompany this quilt. One tip I can offer about trying to find out who those elusive family members are in photos ~~ open a private facebook group and invite all (and I mean ALL) your family members into the group, and post photos that you need to identify. You'll be surprised who remembers what, and which great aunt went canoeing where. The conversations that arise help to prompt other memories from the wider family, and before you know it, you've discovered who that is in the back row of the wedding photo, lol.

Judy S. said...

Your finished piece will surely be a family treasure, Deborah. It is beautiful.

desertskyquilts said...

It is gorgeous! I think the idea of the print out on back is excellent. Even if your daughters remembered, would theirs?

Deborah McLaughlin said...

Lesson learned, Debra. Never again.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

Cy, that's a good idea and a good experiment in just how far Facebook can reach. Although my mother's family was large - eleven in all - all but one of the siblings have died. But you never know what cousins and children of cousins are lurking on Facebook! I posted some information on a genealogy website and hear from the daughter of a cousin who lives in Oklahoma. Who knew?

Deborah McLaughlin said...

Exactly.

Debra Spincic said...

The power of the internet is well, powerful!

Debra Spincic said...

Noooo, this is not your only CQ, is it? You do such fine work! Come on, keep going!!