February 3, 2013

Cy ~ A little more progress


I have only managed a little bit of progress on the quilt for this week.
I had fully intended to have this quilt finished by now, but you know how life sometimes has other ideas - well this week LIFE has intervened yet again.
My poor little miniature Jack Russell managed to get a sharp pointy object (probably a stick or bramble)  pierce one of his eyes.
I have visited the vet with him almost everyday during the week, and we are desperately trying to save his eyesight (and his eye), but it does not look good at the moment.
He's on pain killing injections & tablets, antibiotics, and eyedrops.
A rather poorly little boy feeling very sorry for himself and needing lots of TLC.

But, on to the stitching for this week.

All 16 blocks are sewn together. 
This week I'm hoping to get the white border on, and the backing, and if I have any time left I might start the thin black binding.
I haven't decided how to join front and back together yet.
The options so far are:
  1. Tie with threads in corner of blocks.
  2. Quilt along the seams.
  3. Randomly stitch with hidden stitches.
Any other suggestions most welcome
What would YOU do?




Happy Stitching

13 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

Isn't this piece a beauty?

I basted through the front of all my patches to an inner lining. Then sandwiched with batting quilted to backing by tying in the corners of the blocks.

Good thoughts to your dog. I love dogs.

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

How lovely seeing your butterflies together making their way around the blocks. The centre blocks really pick out the lighter colours. Such a lovely piece. I think I would go with your first option.

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

Hope your little dog makes good progress.

Suztats said...

Oh, your poor wee fellow! Sure hope the eyesight can be saved. Sending good thoughts your way.
I think your quilt is gorgeous! All your coloured blocks have white and greys in them that go so well with the center 4. I'm not a quilter, so i shan't try to advise you on your joining: I'll leave that to the quilty-skilled ones in our group. your butterflies are nicely visible, and I like that they're flying in the same direction.

Cy said...

Thanks Debra. I wasn't going to use a batting in this one. It is already exceptionally heavy for a quilt, probably due to excessive use of beads and jewellery. The blocks are already sewn to an interlining, and I may just (for speed, and the need to get this baby finished) tie in the corners to the backing.
Back to vet again later today.

Cy said...

Arrrghh!!! butterflies....... thank you Carol for mentioning the butterflies. You've just reminded me that I have to stitch on the butterfly brooch on before I add the backing. Phew. Mistake averted. Have I told you how much I love this group, lol.

Cy said...

Thank you. Back to vet for another check on it today.

Cy said...

Thank you Suz, I am quite pleased with the effect so far. The finish line is getting closer.

Debra Spincic said...

As long as you feel the piece will be stable & the blocks not sag, then I wouldn't bother with a separate inner lining (or is it interlining?)

ladyhawthorne said...

Sounds like just tacking it where needed is all that is required. Hope your pup is well soon, our furbabies are part our families.

Judy S. said...

I LOVE this piece! I don't know enough about finishing CQ to offer advice, but I sure hope your sweet pup recovers good as new!

cq4fun said...

This is so beautiful, CY. I absolutely love the light and dark contrast. I'm going to try tacking mine at corners and if that isn't enough, then I'm going to do some invisible-on-front stitching and see how that does.

I so hope your little fellow doesn't lose his eye or sight.

Stiching4fun said...

I sure hope your little guy is doing much better today. I have a couple that I have to watch out for their eyes getting hurt (bulging eyes, pug & japense chin)
I love your what you have done, I think I would either tack it in hidden places, or small ties.

Pat G.