February 10, 2013

Cy ~ CQ & 2013 Goals


Crazy Quilt

This week I have added the inner border and the outer border to my crazy quilt.

This is where I am with it at the moment.



The thin black border is only 3/8th's of an inch wide.
The white border will be about 3" wide.

But now here are two reasons why I am putting this quilt ON-HOLD for a little while.
  1. Working on this quilt all though January and almost half of February has put me way behind on my main projects for this year, and I really need to get going on those before I end up NOT ABLE to do them because I have run out of time for certain deadlines.
  2. This crazy quilt is extremely heavy because of all the jewellery, beads and other embellishments, and I am having trouble with my (bad) shoulders again. So trying to 'heave' this quilt around now it is all put together is not helping my situation,and has prompted me to take a break from it.

So.... I am sad that I have not had a more productive stitching week. 
I was hoping to have this quilt finished by now, but I must accept the fact that my arms will never have 100% movement again (since my unfortunate shoulder surgeries), and I have to put up with whatever I can manage on a day-to-day basis.
Looking on the bright side of it though....it's a great excuse to get someone else to clean my windows, hahaha.


Goals for 2013

I have already posted about my crazy quilt goal for 2013, and a little bit about how I am approaching the TAST challenge this year too.

You can find that post HERE >>   Cy - Goals Part One

I mentioned the Crazy Quilt in bright colours, a different shape and minimalist stitching.
A reminder pic of the crazy quilt blocks.

This is going to be a stained-glass rose window quilt of my own design and will be machine embellished.

The TAST project will be different from the Rose Window Quilt.


And here follows Part Two of my GOALS for this year

I have found this book of velvet fabric samples in my craft stash. It's been there at the back of the cupboard for a long time just waiting for a chance to shine.


It's time has now come.
These velvet pieces will be used as backgrounds for my TAST project.

At the moment this project is called: "An Embroidery of CHANCE" but I may come up with another name later on for it.

After reading the next sentence here, you will probably be thinking that I have completely 
LOST MY MARBLES and you may be right, lol.

My 2013 TAST EMBROIDERY project commences with 3 DICE and a coin-toss
(or is 'die' the correct plural for dice?) - ((or is it the other way around?))



It will be a true Embroidery of Chance and I am expecting to have a lot of fun along the way.

And to quote my previous post about this project -
CHANCE will determine every aspect of the embroidery.
I will take whatever TAST stitch occurs each week from Sharon - that is the first RANDOM aspect to happen that I have no control over.
And then.......every placement, every thread, every fiber, every stitch, every characteristic, every style - will be taken by chance, will be decided by the roll of a dice and the toss of a coin, and will be innovativefresh and contemporary.

This project will be FREE FORM embroidery. No plan, no design, no barriers, no idea what is coming up next.
There is also NO finished item planned. The stitching IS the project. '
I will expand on this in the next post when I ROLL THE DICE.


Other Goals

I have a very large cross stitch, of a steam engine with about 6 carriages, to finish. My mum stitched most of this before poor eyesight made it too difficult for her, and I want to finish it in memory of her.

Learn to make Bobbin Lace. (Honiton Lace, Russian Lace, and other style variations)

Create a Mixed Media and Free Form Crochet piece for an annual challenge in the International Free Form Crochet Guild.




Happy Stitching

18 comments:

ladyhawthorne said...

Starting from the top of your post:
I love how you did the border with the thin line, very striking. And taking care of yourself comes first!
I was thinking your stained glass pieces looked a little like mummies but I can't wait to see what the rose window will look like - fabulous I know.
I love velvets and it looks to be such pretty colors too. Embroidery of Chance sounds rather exciting too.
Good for you to finish your Mum's cross stitch, sounds like a detailed piece.
I've watched bobbin lace being made and was more fascinated with the pretty bobbins than the lace at the time. It looked confusing to me but seemed a bit like macrame on a tiny scale. I hope you make this goal and share your work with us.
I envy those that crochet and a free form mixed media piece sounds like a lot of fun.
A full year for you I think if you do all that is on your list!

Debra Spincic said...

I tried bobbin lace once and decided it was not a good project for me. You will probably do splendidly with it, however.

I definitely like where your CQ2012 is going and can understand the weight and fatigue of the finishing process. Been there, done that a few weeks ago. I think the stress and angle of the stitching is what caused my shoulder to pop out of its socket last week (now that I think about it.) Sewing is not for wimps!

I'm not sure I understand the concept of your next freeform project but will let that unfold as you stitch.

Carry on!

Suztats said...

Love your thin black border-it really works. And the idea of creating by the roll of the dice is fabulous! TAST will look so fancy on the velvet, too. Love all your plans and goals for 2013! Looking forward to seeing the cross-stitch piece.

Barbara C said...

I hope you soon feel well enough to wrangle your project again. It's amazing sometimes how this activity can strain the body.

Cy said...

Funny you should mention that my cq shapes look like mummies, lol, I was thinking they resembled a sarcophagus.
As for the lace making, last November I fell in love with my mums (rather large) collection of bobbins. She told me I could have the lot if I learnt how to use them, lol. I also inherited her entire lace making equipment and books. It was fun and games trying to pack it all in my suitcases to bring home. I actually turfed out my clothes and shoes to make room for them, lol. Got my priorities right!

Cy said...

Hope your shoulder repaired itself ok. We must learn from this and LISTEN to what our bodies are telling us (but we will probably do exactly the same thing again)

Cy said...

Thank you Suz. When I get a spare moment I will unroll the steam train cross stitch piece and take some photos to show you. I think it is a very unusual cross stitch, and I have no idea where mum got the pattern from, but I'm looking forward to finishing it as I have the perfect wall space for this large work.

Cy said...

Do we ever learn from our mishaps? I don't. It was only during my struggles manipulating this quilt last week that I remembered why I gave up making large quilts 4 years ago after my accident, lol.

Debra Spincic said...

Yes, I saw in an instant that the bobbin lacemaking would take a whole new set of supplies and equipment. That was enough to discourage me (and the fact I have a dresser full of lace already!)

Do share your progress with us!

cq4fun said...

I love the black lines around the project for 2012. That is just the perfect touch. Die is one, dice are more than one. =) I'm very excited about how you are going to make your new project a product of chance. Do you have stitches that correspond to numbers you throw? and threads? I can hardly wait to see how that works out, but it sounds like a great element of fun!

Cy said...

Thanks for the clarification on die/dice, lol. It was about 2am when I wrote that post and I was getting tired.

I will explain more about how and what is chosen by the roll of the die in next weeks post, but it is mostly done by lists. I am using Sharon B's numbered list of stitches, and if I need extra stitches than her weekly chosen TAST stitch, I shall ask one of my boys to give me a number between 1 and 52, and then I'll use that stitch on Sharons list, or if the boys aren't around when I need them, I'll use an online number generator. I am segregating an assortment of threads into 6 boxes (or bags). When the dice tell me which box or bag to use I will have a blind lucky dip to decide the next thread to use. I am most sure that I am going to have some pretty unusual and surprising things happen when working this way.

Debra Spincic said...

I dislocated it about 5 years ago and it has a tendency to dislocate on its own. Prior to this last time, it dislocated in the bathtub. That was a bit inconvenient! Ha! ha!!

Debra Spincic said...

Oh Fun!!

Cy said...

Ooh la la! Hope you didn't have to call for the medic.

Debra Spincic said...

Wes was pretty useless! He bought me a t-shirt to put on and my arm was frozen over my head. Not sure what he was thinking! We got it all figured out and then almost to the emergency clinic the shoulder slipped back into place so we turned around & came home.

desertskyquilts said...

You are right, sewing is not for wimps. =) I'm glad you didn't have a big bill at the hospital, and hours of waiting that would not have made it feel any better at all.

Stiching4fun said...

I love the Black and White its goregous!! I like the Crazy Quilt in Brights! Never thought of that. You do beautiful and can't wait to see what else you do.

Cy said...

Thanks Pat. I can't wait to see what else I do either, lol. The projects are queuing up for attention.