February 24, 2013

Barbara's UFO First Block Finished


I finished one block in my 30s quilt block kit.  I completed the embroidery on the one block that had the applique already finished and buttonhole stitched down.


An 80 year-old UFO can be a bit grimy.  I soaked it for several hours in detergent and oxyclean.  Toward the end, I treated the spots with some Fels Naptha, which is my stain remover of last resort.


The spotting on the block has faded, but it's still there.  I have resolved that I won't let that bother me.  This piece has earned its age spots.  I think the darkest stain on the middle left may be a rust stain from a needle that was left in the fabric, since it's near where the previously embroidered section ended and the green embroidery thread was left hanging.


I'm going to adjust my thread colors for the next block.  I want a darker yellow and I found a couple of darker greens in my stash.  These blocks are 17 x 17 inches, so there's some room for trimming when it comes time to set them in a quilt top. 

13 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

If later you decided that the spot did bother you, placing bugs & butterflies over them would take care of that issue. But, really, anyone looking at this project is going to realize this is a vintage item & would probably expect it to be less than pristine.

Are all the blocks the same design?

Deborah McLaughlin said...

I love the block. It has an art deco look about it.

Judy S. said...

Hmmm, something happened to my post. At any rate, your block looks great, Barbara, and cleaned up nicely. Like Debra, I immediately thought of adding bees or something to cover up the spots if they continue to bother you. It's going to be a really nice quilt!

ladyhawthorne said...

I think it cleaned up nicely! Just love those curly bits in the center.

Barbara C said...

Yes, they're all the same. Good idea about the bug an butterfly embellishments! I'll keep that in mind.

Barbara C said...

Yes, the finished block is much nicer looking than I expected. I do like the design.

Barbara C said...

Thanks Judy.

Barbara C said...

At one point I considered copying the outlines onto new background fabric and adding the original appliques, but I think the remaining spots are totally acceptable.

Cy said...

Totally acceptable yes. These are vintage fabrics, and didn't get the to be that age without getting into some trouble along the years. Think of it as "marks of character".

Barbara C said...

"Marks of Character," I like that.

Suztats said...

This is beautiful, Barbara! I love the center of the waterlily-it adds so much movement to the piece. If all the blocks are the same, will you be using different styles of stitching them, or using different stitches, or colours? What's the size of each piece? It looks as though they'll create a large quilt.

Cy said...

=)

cq4fun said...

I thought I had commented and told you how beautiful I thought this was. Maybe that was on your blog?