February 10, 2013

Barbara's "St. Francis Preaches to the Birds" (32 x 33")


I finished this wall hanging, remarkably close to on-time, thanks to the peer pressure encouragement of the talented participants in the Tuesday Stitchers group.  It's not typical for me to work on a schedule, but I am very happy to see the project come to fruition. 

Here are several close-ups. 


The blocks, sashing and binding were joined by hand because I felt it gave me the most control when working with the shape-shifting sizes of these blocks.


I used an assortment of buttons, beads and some quilting stitches to bind the top  layer to the backing.









There are the medals of St. Francis (with birds swirling around his head) and St. Clare, who I've been told is the patron saint of embroiderers.  These, and the lace panel of the Virgin Mary, were brought back from Italy by my friend Cathrine.





For the backing, I used this vintage upholstery panel.


Here's what the finished quilt back looks like.  I still have to attach the hangings sleeve at the top, and add the label, which will go into the space below the tree.

With this project done, the rest of the year is wide open for new projects.  We'll see what jumps onto the design wall from here.

13 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

Bravo to a fabulous finish!

Barbara C said...

Thanks! It feels good to not have had this one linger on for years.

Debra Spincic said...

:-))

Cy said...

Oh wow! This quilt is so precious Barbara.
What a lovely fabric for the border. Good choice, and I love that the backing is 'in-keeping' with the theme.
Congratulations on completing this project.
What's it like to have a 'blank page' in front of you now?

Suztats said...

Fantastic Finish! Yay! This is a gorgeous quilt, and I love the backing you've used for it, too. I like the use of the buttons on the sashing and the border. It's not something I would have thought to use, but it works very well, and I may just steal that idea for my Christmas wall hanging: the snowflakes just are not working out.......
So, now you've finished this project so beautifully, what's next? Can't wait to see!

Barbara C said...

Staring at the blank page is a bit overwhelming. I'm going to have to dig a bit through my UFOs and stash and see what's what. It feels like it's been awhile since I worked on anything else.

Barbara C said...

I may have some surprises to show next week in terms of new projects. I'm inspired by all the UFOs people in the group have dug up.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

This is a really imaginative quilt - your use of the stitches is not just beautiful but very clever. I love the backing, so pretty! Really a masterpiece!

cq4fun said...

Wow, I'm so impressed with how well the blocks work together, and with the borders. Your backing is a perfect piece, too. I imagine I could spend several hours looking at all your embellishing.

ladyhawthorne said...

Fabulous!

Barbara C said...

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the encouragement.

Stiching4fun said...

You have a beautiful piece of work. Love your embellishing and the backing is just perfect!

Judy S. said...

Barbara, this is wonderful. I LOVE it! The border and sashing is just perfect. I hope you have a special place to put it. Congrats on a job well done. Can't wait to see what you come up with this year!