February 17, 2013

Barbara's Next Project


I've pulled out a UFO to finish.  This project has been in my stash for several years, I bought 12 of these waterlily applique and embroidery blocks for $6.00, maybe ten years ago.  A couple of the blocks have some of the stamped applique pieces basted down, but most of the stamped blocks are bare and I have the corresponding stamped applique pieces for all of the blocks.


The appliques have a stamp that says the kit was copyrighted by the Rainbow Quilt Block Co. in 1932, 81 years ago.


On one block the applique has been completed, and a meticulous buttonhole stitch has been applied to the edges.

The green thread from the outline embroidery has been left hanging in a tantalizing way.  Who started this kit, and why was it abandoned?  Maybe finishing this kit will lead me to some clues as to the story of this project.  Maybe completing this old UFO will allow some needle worker's spirit to rest a bit more peacefully.


I began with the important task of getting the right supplies.  All the pieces are in good shape, though some of the blocks have "beauty spots," stains of unknown origin.  At one point I washed one of the stamped blocks in oxyclean to see how much of the staining will come out with a good wash, and it came out nice and white, if not totally spotless.

When the blocks are done, I've got a drawer full of 30s fabrics I want to use to make complimentary pieced blocks for the finished quilt.  That's my plan anyway. 

Please see my blog for some particularly good news: http://xicanartista.blogspot.com/2013/02/super-good-news.html

14 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

Are you planning to embroider these blocks as suggested or do some new stitches learned via TAST?

Barbara C said...

Most of the stitches used so far are pretty basic, but maybe if something irresistible surfaces in TAST, I'll mix it up like Judy did in her stamped blocks.

Debra Spincic said...

Or, I was thinking a stitch from last year. That way you could reinforce the memory of it.

ladyhawthorne said...

This will be fun to see where you go with it all.
I just love old pieces like this, I have some too. I have a whole bin full of doilies and dresser scarves that were done by my grandmother and great aunt and some may have been done by my great grandmother.

Debra Spincic said...

Sounds like a crazy quilt waiting to happen!

Suztats said...

Wow! An ambitious project, Barbara, that I'll enjoy seeing come together. 12 of them.

Congratulations on your good news!!! yeehaw!

Barbara C said...

good idea!

Debra Spincic said...

I say that because I have had to pull out my directions from some of the earlier stitches.

Debra Spincic said...

An easy idea would be to use a variation of the blanket/buttonhole stitch on each applique. So right there you would have an opportunity to come up with 12 variations.

ladyhawthorne said...

Sorry but most are in great condition and I won't be chopping them up, lol. I actually use them for what they were intended, I just keep swapping then around.

Cy said...

OMG what a lovely treasure this is. This really is a dream purchase. You have a great eye for a bargain Barbara.
I'm going to enjoy seeing this project come together over the space of a year.

I think a lot of us Tuesday Stitchers are on a reminiscing journey this year with some lovely projects from the past. You and these waterlily blocks, Angela and her Grandmother's quilt, me and my mother's steam engine panel. We are helping to keep the memory of these people alive, and I hope you make some discoveries about the person who started your appliques along the way.

Judy S. said...

Don't you just wish that piece could talk? It's a wonderful project, and I can't wait to watch your progress. Now I'm off to check your blog.

Stiching4fun said...

All I can say is What a Find! It will be fun watching the progress on this.

cq4fun said...

What a great project, and lucky you to have found it so intact. I had a friend who finished this same quilt, amazingly. We saw the soft colors and fabrics when she started, and it was so appealing when finished.