February 17, 2013
Barbara's Next Project
I've pulled out a UFO to finish. This project has been in my stash for several years, I bought 12 of these waterlily applique and embroidery blocks for $6.00, maybe ten years ago. A couple of the blocks have some of the stamped applique pieces basted down, but most of the stamped blocks are bare and I have the corresponding stamped applique pieces for all of the blocks.
The appliques have a stamp that says the kit was copyrighted by the Rainbow Quilt Block Co. in 1932, 81 years ago.
On one block the applique has been completed, and a meticulous buttonhole stitch has been applied to the edges.
The green thread from the outline embroidery has been left hanging in a tantalizing way. Who started this kit, and why was it abandoned? Maybe finishing this kit will lead me to some clues as to the story of this project. Maybe completing this old UFO will allow some needle worker's spirit to rest a bit more peacefully.
I began with the important task of getting the right supplies. All the pieces are in good shape, though some of the blocks have "beauty spots," stains of unknown origin. At one point I washed one of the stamped blocks in oxyclean to see how much of the staining will come out with a good wash, and it came out nice and white, if not totally spotless.
When the blocks are done, I've got a drawer full of 30s fabrics I want to use to make complimentary pieced blocks for the finished quilt. That's my plan anyway.
Please see my blog for some particularly good news: http://xicanartista.blogspot.com/2013/02/super-good-news.html