January 7, 2013

Suz-CQJP 2012, CQJP 2013, WIP

Hi everyone! Sorry I'm late. The fall means it takes me longer to do anything, and my material didn't arrive home until Saturday afternoon, so I couldn't get started.....
Well, here's a pic of the 9 blocks I'll be using for my wall hanging. The Merry Christmas block will take center stage, but I haven't decided on placement for the rest, yet. But, I've been searching through my lace, and now it's time to get sashing!

CQJP 2012
WIP
While I was waiting for my material, I began creating the memorial heart for Sandy Hook.

Once I've finished stitching the heart, I'll position it on the CQ block below so I'll know just where to embellish those block seams.












 CQJP2013

 Once my material came home from the mail box, I got busy, and I've created 8 of the 12 blocks for CQ2013. You can see it's quite a departure from the red/white/green of 2012!
I think this is my fave block so far........
cottons and silks, damasks, and velvet are just some of the fabrics I'm using........
Most are solids, but with lots of texture.


The idea is for lots of surface embellishment in the same palette as the fabrics with light pinks and greens thrown in for a little more interest.
Well, at least that's the plan right now.........heheheheh.......it could change


I'd love to read your thoughts on my 2013 palette, and my beginning........

Thanks.
Hugs from Suz

19 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

Do you want any layout suggestions for your Christmas piece?

You are right, the new 2013 CQJP blocks are different than what we have seen to date. I am sure they will be lovely. I am expecting lots of pretty tatting -- would be perfect with the textures and the roses.

ladyhawthorne said...

Love the new direction for this year. The pale color choice with lots of texture should give you a great foundation for stitches.

desertskyquilts said...

I love the 2013 blocks, and look forward to seeing how the embellishments develop over the year. You are tired of those dark greens and reds and went very pale, and I'm tired of pastels and will be going darker! LOL. Your heart is coming along beautifully. I look forward to seeing that whole block finished. And the 2012 blocks. =)

Suztats said...

I plan to move things around until I find a pleasing layout, Debra. I value your quilting expertise, so any suggestions are most welcome! Thanks.

Suztats said...

I hope to do lots of surface embroidery, with tatting and maybe some stump work thrown in for good measure. I'm thinking of the pebbles I did earlier last year, and love all the textured stitches.

Suztats said...

Sounds like we're both looking forward to a colour change. Thanks for your comment about the heart--I'm trying to make it special without making it too feminine.

Debra Spincic said...

One thing I noticed is that you have some long straight patches. You could possibly rotate enough of the blocks with those patches so they make a faux outer border. On the inside of the composition they act like a barrier but on the outside edge they could be a nice retaining wall to keep the attention inside.

I would still separate those big pieces of poinsettia fabric into different rows.

Feel free to post a few layouts if you want some feedback. You don't have to wait until the Reveal.

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

You 2013 block is so light and airy and will be a great change from your Christmas colours. Really looking forward to seeing your lacy sashing. The heart is so textural and deserves pride of place on its special block.

Cy said...

Loving your new colour scheme for 2013. This is going to be one beautiful project that I am looking forward to following the progress of throughout the coming year.
I agree with Debra that the Christmas quilt blocks need that faux outer border with rotating or changing the outside blocks to have the straight pieces on the outside. It's definitely a Cheery quilt.

Stiching4fun said...

I really love your choice of fabrics & blocks for 2013. Will be watching you develop your blocks!

Suztats said...

That\s a really good point about the long, straight pieces blocking the flow. Thank you. I just might post some layouts for feedback. Another good idea!

Suztats said...

Thanks Carol.

Suztats said...

I know I loved doing the pebbles in the creams, so I thought it would be the perfect palette for adding lots of surface embroidery. Thanks.

Debra Spincic said...

Sometimes it helps to have a 2nd pair of eyes looking at a composition. At least at this point it's not sewn together so you can move blocks as you want.

Debra Spincic said...

Holler if you want some crocheted doilies. I bought a huge tub of them and will never use all of them in my lifetime.

Suztats said...

It sure does, Debra! Sometimes DH helps me with that, too.

Suztats said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Love, love, love your new blocks!

Suztats said...

Thank you, Ladies! It's great getting such positive feedback!