January 7, 2013

Susan: Top Border

The top border is about 1/3 finished. My goal is to finish it by the 12th, then do the bottom border by the 24th, giving me a week to put it together. I know it doesn't have to be complete by the end of the month, but it's my Lovely Finish goal for January. Here are some seams. Mostly, I put one part on and then decide what would look good with it and add that. The original idea for the area with the curvy seam under the curved white lace came from a drawing in Dorothy Bond's book. I added to that, then added the curvy seam part, and the little bumps. Just playing.

FFB3_seam1-5


 The holbein was the same way. I saw something on inaminuteago, Sharon B's stitch dictionary, and that made me back stitch the holbein. Then I added the green stitches, and decided on French knots instead of chain stitches. Decided enough was enough and moved down to the part where I added this:

FFB3_motif1

That is the way it will be viewed on the top border, so I turned it. There is much more to go on this part, of course.

12 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

You are very good at looking at trim and knowing how to embroider it further. I look at trim and think, "OK, next?" and then skip it.

I love the little arch you've created with the motif and then supporting embroidery--very well done.

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

You're "curvy seam" dove tails beautifully with the top flower spray fabric and also the starburst effect in your final photo, its all looking ever so good.

Debra Spincic said...

I have to agree. Susan, you have done a really nice job of creating curves in areas that are very straight. They look natural and not contrived at all. Paying attention to the edge of the eyelet trim and the embroidered fabric for clues was a smart move.

Suztats said...

There's a lot of nice movement in this curvy seam pic, and the colours you've used for the hand stitching are very light and pleasing to my eye: I think spring when I look at this. Waiting for more eye candy.

Judy S. said...

Very pretty, Susan! I agree with everyone about the curvy arches, and I also like the embellishment on the eyelet lace, especially the backstitching and the french knots. What thread are you using, Sassa Lynne? This is going to be a spectacular wall hanging, a real treasure!

desertskyquilts said...

That's so funny, because I consider that area to be a weak one! I was just lucky on this piece of eyelet. =)

desertskyquilts said...

Strictly serendipitous ... or at a level so deep I'm not even conscious of it. =) All I really thought was, "Hey, let's follow the curve of this lace, shall we?" LOL

desertskyquilts said...

Yay, thank you for saying that, because I was going for the lighter, spring effect. That's more evident on my "tree" where I worked this morning, sort of thinking about pussy willows - and what color thread was already in needles. =)

desertskyquilts said...

You nailed it. Almost the whole quilt is Sassa Lynne. I've used a few Valdani, one Vicki Clayton silk perle, one DMC, and a couple of odd-ball things, but almost all Sassa Lynne. I just love stitching with it. When I someday run out, she better still be dying that stuff! I've been tempted to do another buy, but I've resisted so far. It isn't as if I NEED it yet.

Debra Spincic said...

Whatever it takes!

ladyhawthorne said...

I can hardly wait to see it all together! Such pretty colors and wonderful stitching. You've put a lot of love in this.

Cy said...

Great work Susan. I sure do love the way the curve is echoed through this piece. Beautiful colours, gorgeous stitching and great use of lacy trims.