January 6, 2013

Debra: 2013 Plans: CQJP & AAQI

This year I am dovetailing a few projects that are compatible.  One of the organizations to which I like to contribute is the Alzheimer Art Quilt Initiative (AAQI).  Through the donation of small 9" x 12" art quilts money is raised for research.  I met my 1st goal of raising $1000 and during 2013, I will be stitching toward my 2nd $1000 goal.

Instead of a new CQJP wall piece, I will be stitching a monthly art quilt for the AAQI & using that piece to qualify for my monthly CQJP challenge.  To date I have pieced 12 blocks to use.  They are utilizing oddball pieces of reclaimed embroidery (from Angela's thrifting) and various pieces of my own fabric transfers and machine embroidery.  Since I am still in Madonna mode while working on my Mother and Child piece, I decided to use a Madonna photo transfer for January's piece.

©Debra Spincic, 2013
 
This Praying Madonna has very rich toned satiny fabrics overlapped in the background.  I used a small packet of prom dress samples with some tidbits of trim.  She's already beautiful but will be even more when embellished with embroidery and beads!
 
Oh! What is this?
 
All the leftover & rejected sewing themed fabrics have been sewn together as the backing for my Sewing Journal.  I am officially (mentally) done with this theme!  The blocks are laid on the dining room table waiting for assembly.  Today may very well be the day.  If not, this week for sure!

© Debra Spincic, 2013

Comments are welcome!

14 comments:

Suztats said...

Your January block looks lovely! lots of nice lace with the Madonna, and the rich tones of the background fabrics really show it off!

Debra Spincic said...

Now the work begins of embroiderying it--hopefully I can keep that simple, she said optimistically.

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

How wonderful, stitching for such a worthy cause and a splendidly satisfying way of raising funds for a favourite charity, a great start to the new CQJP year. Love the idea of using your sewing themed fabrics for backing.
The only word I can find to express my thoughts of your Mother and Child piece is "magnificent".

ladyhawthorne said...

The Madonna is gorgeous and your stitching will make it more so. What fun fabrics you found, love the zippers!

Debra Spincic said...

yes, it gives me a quick way to try an idea without belabouring the point and the monies raised go to a worthy cause.

I'm so happy to use the fabrics for the back and not have a little stack of leftover pieces.

Debra Spincic said...

I had just enough fabric. Luckily I didn't go overboard collecting this theme!

Deborah McLaughlin said...

I'm anxious to see the finished product on all. I love the Madonna and the sewing journal is going to be such fun.

Debra Spincic said...

No pressure, right?

Cy said...

Loving all the beautiful lace. It frames your Madonna so well.
A great collection of sewing themed fabrics Debra. Nice idea to use them for the journal cover.
Congrats on reaching your AAQI goal for 2012. I look forward to seeing the finished CQ's for this year.

Judy S. said...

Sounds like a very nice project to me and a brilliant idea to combine efforts into one task! Love the looks of your January block and can't wait to watch it progress.

Debra Spincic said...

When I have these flashes of brilliance, I have to follow them quickly!

Debra Spincic said...

I learned so much about the color wheel last year that I plan to continue some more in depth color work this year. For my project, though, I need something less structured, if you know what I mean.

desertskyquilts said...

That's an absolutely beautiful Madonna piece. I clicked over to check up on your Mother and Child piece, because I hadn't in a while, and it is truly awesome! I love your center pics.

Debra Spincic said...

Thank you, I am stitching on my Mother & Child piece today. Deadlines are such motivators.