January 6, 2013

Deborah - Reveal

Not sure what I've got to reveal this week. I have begun putting together my 2012 CQ project blocks and discovered a pretty big problem. One of the blocks is about 1" smaller than all the others. I can't think of much to do about it except try to extend it in as unobtrusive way as possible, and blend in the extra bit with embroidery and embellisments. Pretty embarrassing - I clueless as to why I didn't see this before now.

So I'm revealing an AAQI quilt I worked on yesterday between cake baking and dinner fixing for Allison's 25th birthday.




Elvis's birthday is January 8th, so this seemed appropriate. This fabric is from a few years ago when I was furiously making pillowcases. Remember, Debra?




Happy birthday to my beautiful daughter, Allison!

The cake is Andes chocolate mint cake from Bird on a Cake and it was delicious.

I have five more AAQI quilts ready to finish. I started gathering all my UFOs and prioritizing them, and will post more of that on my blog later today.

For now, I am getting ready for breakfast with family and our our annual shopping trip.

I'm lucky that the new year always starts off on such a fun, positive note - daughter's birthday, shopping, and new stitching.

Happy New Year, and happy stitiching. Can't wait to get back & read what everyone else is up to.

13 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

Already love your Elvis block!

that cake looks delish!

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

Elvis rocks! Fabulous cake and beautiful daughter - hope you all enjoyed your special day together.

ladyhawthorne said...

Cool! Love Elvis.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

It was out of this world, Debra, especially if you like mint & chocolate together. The cake is very brownie-like - it was really easy, right up my street.

Debra Spincic said...

Thanks for saving me a piece! *wink*

Cy said...

Great Elvis quilt and a great idea to create a quilt to commemorate his birthday.
Happy birthday to your Allison too. I'll have to check out that recipe as my boys love anything chocolatey.

Judy S. said...

Fun block! Hope you and your daughter had a fun b'day celebration; that cake looks yummy. What could be better than chocolate and mint?

Suztats said...

Happy Birthday Allison! oh, yum, cake!
Loving Elvis! Boy, those pics take me back.........

Deborah McLaughlin said...

Thank you everyone. I ran across that fabric from a few years ago, remembered the musical ribbon, and knew what I had to do. :-)

Debra Spincic said...

I love it when an idea just presents itself so easily. It makes creating fun & easy.

desertskyquilts said...

Love your Elvis piece. Yeah, takes me back to ... to when I got in trouble for messing with stuff in my older sister's room! LOL! No one will ever know about the block that's smaller, because you'll just add a little strip or two and embellish and it will be great. If you hadn't told us, WE wouldn't know! Happy birthday to Allison, cake looks delicious!

Deborah McLaughlin said...

I think you are right about the block. Once I get plenty of embellishment on it, it will look like it belongs there. Anyway: I'm nto going to make a new block!

Also, the Elvis block gave me a chance to use a small scrap with the lovely lady you see. :-)

Debra Spincic said...

The beauty of CQ is that you get to improvise and sometimes wonderful surprises happen.