January 27, 2013

Cy - Four crazy quilt blocks


This week has been a busy one on the stitching front.

I have completed the four crazy quilt blocks that were needed for the centre part of the quilt.
This now means I have ALL 16 blocks done, and, AND, I have stitched half the quilt top together, and pinned the other half ready for stitching. But the second bit won't get done today as Tony has just invited me out for drive and a picnic. I cannot resist this opportunity for another adventure with 'doo'man..

So without further ado, here are the pics to show you how far I have got this week.

The four crazy quilt blocks.


These blocks are muted whites, off-whites, greys, light creams & natural colours.
I have not worked in such a one-tone (plain white) colour scheme before, and I have discovered that I rather like it. It was another unexpected learning curve.
My 12 blocks in the black, white, turquoise & teals will be surrounding these in a 4 x 4 block arrangement.

Lots of TAST stitches, lots of 'invented' stitches, and lots of surprise (to me) combinations.
I especially love the mandala combination stitches. 

Here are (rather a lot) of close-up pics of the stitching from the above blocks.



















And here is half the quilt top stitched together (but not pressed yet).



After ALL that heavy stitching on the black & turquoise blocks, stitching on the white blocks was a real treat, haha. 
The fact that I managed to stitch all four blocks in 8 days was a revelation in what I, personally, can achieve. I was, of course, urged on with the need to get this quilt finished by the end of January so that I can start my next crazy quilt adventure, which is waiting patiently in the wings.

The coming week will hopefully see this quilt to completion, or to the binding stage at least.

Happy Stitching

16 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

Certainly proof that when you glue your rear to the chair you can really stitch like a madwoman!

I also like your mandalas. They are very inviting & tie in well with the ones on the teal blocks.

I think you will be sprinting to the finish line! Good for you!

ladyhawthorne said...

The 'white' centerpiece is really going to make the darker blocks pop, or perhaps it will be the other way round. There is some gorgeous stitching there and lots of it. I can tell your heart & soul went into it.

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

Adore your natural colour scheme, the greys and creams work so well together. Roll on next week. Oh, enjoy your picnic!

Suztats said...

Oh, I love those 4 muted blocks! Such a lot of wonderful, textural stitching! Yummy!! I think it's easier to add lots and lots of surface embroidery with a muted palette. It doesn't look as busy to me, anyway. Just lush. Gonna be gorgeous!!

Judy S. said...

Wonderful work, Cy! Gosh, I think we need to have a world tour, so we can all see these pieces up close. Thanks goodness, though, for photography and the Internet and the opportunity they provide. Your quilt is going to be fabulous! And, oh my, a picnic in January sounds so nice, especially on this dark rainy and cold day! Hope you had a great afternoon!

desertskyquilts said...

Wow, Cy! Thank you so much for the close-ups! You can't have too many for me. That was the first thing I wanted when I clicked the 4 and it didn't enlarge. I can see one stitch I'm stealing for some of my blocks this year, it will be perfect! See if you recognize it when it shows up. I love the look of the dark around the light. This is just a beautiful project. I think it's easier to stitch faster when I'm doing what I want and not trying to follow anything else, like TAST.

Cy said...

You'd think that having no internet connection for 4 days this week would help me on my way to finishing this quilt, but sadly not so. Dog trouble, vet visits, nurse maid (for said dog), catch-up daytime sleeping (for me), has put my stitching on hold since Sunday. So don't hold your breath for a finished quilt this coming weekend!!!
It's another of life's trials, but we will get through it. I might be able to treat myself to viewing and stroking my colourful 2013 fabric tomorrow.

Cy said...

Actually Angela, quite the opposite from my heart and soul on these blocks, lol. I 'rushed' these four blocks, and didn't put any shine, sparkle, jewel, bead or embellishment on them apart from the actual stitches. I just wanted these to be dull compared to the main blocks. Not sure if it worked though, lol. Note to self - practice stitching DULL, haha.

Cy said...

Thanks Carol, we had a great picnic, a fantastic walk through a native bush with the most incredible scenery, and the highlight of the day was most definitely the tallest waterfall I have ever seen, which dropped to something like a rain forest at the bottom. I love exploring NZ, and 'dooman' always discovers unexpected amazing places.

Cy said...

Thanks Suz. yes I agree that the surface embroidery looks a lot better in a muted palette like this, and the texture shows up better too.

Cy said...

Thanks Judy, yes we had a great day for our picnic. It's summer here at the moment, and temperatures are above 25C and as high as 31C during the day.

Cy said...

Happy to oblige Susan. I'll be on the look out for whichever stitch you 'pinch' for your blocks, lol. Glad I could inspire you with them.

cq4fun said...

I was looking over the silkies, trying to think which one it would look best on, and I think I will have to use it more than once, because the one that immediately came to mind is in the second half of the year. =) You're stitching always inspires me!

Pat in KS said...

Cy.......first I want to apologize for posting late, computer problems...that being said.....I love your stitching, all are so neat! I love the small meandering you did (do you a short length needle? Amazed that you could do all that stitching in 8 days....that is super probably take me weeks. Looking forward to seeing more.

CarolynnS said...

Aren't the neutrals fun to work with? (I know you will go back and add beads, etc.--you won't be able to help yourself!)
What an inspired idea to have the neutrals in the middle to give contrast to the darker blocks! Was this your idea all along, or did inspiration strike at the last minute?!
Beautiful, beautiful project!

Barbara C said...

Your stitching has a dramatic texture and adds a lot to your muted color scheme. You've really pulled out all the stops in finishing this piece.