January 20, 2013

Cy ~ 2012 progress & 2013 goals


Busy, busy, busy, stitching, designing, sewing ~~ sewing, designing, stitching, busy, busy, busy.

Arranging the Crazy Quilt 2012 blocks.

The design that I liked best was having the twelve blocks around a centre panel. I had originally planned to have the centre panel as one whole piece of fabric in a colour that was used in the embellishing on the main blocks, namely teal or turquoise.

After auditioning many fabrics in that colour range I changed my mind (I'm allowed to do that).
They were all too strong and powerful and dominated the quilt.
After spending a whole year hand stitching these 12 blocks, I do not want the centre panel to be the focus, so I opted for making four more crazy blocks for the centre but in the muted white/greys that are a part of the main blocks.

So, over the last couple of days I have machined 4 crazy quilt blocks, but so far only hand stitched on one of them. I should have the other 3 hand stitched in the next few days, and then I can start sewing the blocks together.

Here are the 4 white/grey blocks.

Work on that crazy quilt continues .




 Warning Alert-    
Sunglasses protection may be needed while viewing the following photos 
as you will not be expecting this vibrant colour scheme from ME.


Designing the Crazy Quilt 2013 blocks
Yes, I signed up for CQJP 2013

Last year was great. 
I worked through my chosen 'limited' colour scheme and theme, and completed each of the 9" blocks with loads (and loads) of hand stitching, texture, beads and other embellishments. 
enjoyed every moment of it......
but, oh boy, it was hard work keeping up with all that hand stitching.


This year........I'm changing the PACE 
This year..... I am in URGENT need of some colour in my life
This year.... I am going to use all the BRIGHT colours in the colour wheel
This year.... I will not use any DARK shades of any colour
This year..... I will NOT be using embellishments
This year.... I will use only THREAD on the blocks
This year.... I will use my SEWING machine more
This year..... the blocks will NOT be square
This year.... the 'blocks' will be a few DIFFERENT shapes and sizes
This year.... I will use only use fabric that is in my STASH, I'm not to buy any more fabric
This year..... I am going MINIMALIST
This year.... I will create a very NON-TRADITIONAL crazy quilt 
This year.... I am aiming for it to be an ART quilt, of sorts(!!)
This year .... I'm creating a bigger CHALLENGE for myself


This year.... is going to be extra FUN.


So who picked up on the 'minimalist' bit, haha.

Ok, I can hear all those groans. 
How can a crazy quilt be minimalist?
Well, the answer is ..... I'm not sure!
I have an idea about it, but I shall have to experiment a little bit to find out if it really works, and, more importantly, if I like it.
 I need to spend less time on this quilt than I did on last years quilt, because I have other projects and 'deadlines' that take priority this year.

I have a feeling this is going to be another learning curve where I find out more about myself too.


As I mentioned before, I am in URGENT need of some colour in my life.
So I pulled out a lot of my bright fabrics and laid them on the table. 

The following pic is of the fabrics that made it to the short list. And you can see I have narrowed it down a bit more since taking the photo.



    LOOK!!!                     NO PURPLE    


So, using those fabrics (and I caved in and have since added some purples to the mixing pot) here are my first two "bare shapes" for this quilt. 

Each one measures roughly 11" x 5" at it's widest and longest points.



The black outer bit is only a card template at this moment, just to give you (and me) an idea of how the final shape of these particular blocks will look, so it may (or may not) not be black in the final work. I could only find black card at this time, so it had to do.




And now...... on to TAST 2013

This is going to be a completely separate project from the quilt.

It will take the form of a wall hanging, and, again I want to use lots of BRIGHT colours.
I will make (create) the surface of the background from wool, and fiber, and fabric.
There will be NO design element for the stitches. 
It will be totally random. 

CHANCE will determine every aspect of this.
I will take whatever TAST stitch occurs each week - that is the first RANDOM aspect to happen that I have no control over.
And then.......every placement, every thread, every fiber, every stitch, every characteristic, every style - will be taken by chance, and will be innovativefresh and contemporary.
I have a plan of how to achieve this, but as this post has already become an 'epic' novel, I shall save that detail for another post (and it will give me time to 'play' and 'perfect' the randomness of it).


So there you have MY GOALS for 2013. 

Having now put it down in writing, I am accountable.
Here's to a BUSY year ahead.



Happy Stitching

23 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

Holey Moley Macaroni! Let's just fill that plate mile high, willya?

I feel the brights coming on too. My 2013 goals are about to make a major change as well.

I'm not into the 'no embellishments' idea so will watch how you handle that one!

As always, expect a wild ride from you in 2013!!

ladyhawthorne said...

It will be interesting to watch the growth of these projects.
I have always loved rainbow colors together so I'm excited to see what you are going to come up with.
I also love the total random TAST idea.

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

Ready, steady, go! Flying start with feet not touching the ground. We're all in for a fun rude I'm sure, so exciting.

Debra Spincic said...

Carol, are you up for working around the color wheel some more? I'm thinking about doing it again?

Anyone else??

Cy said...

The "no embellishments" part is going to be a difficult path for me to take Debra, lol, especially after all that went onto last years blocks. But I wanted a REAL change this year, and so this is my challenge to myself. To see how creative I can get with stitching only and minimal fuss. No extras.

Debra Spincic said...

Strange as it may sound, I was thinking that I would like a challenge of a whole cloth and then just embroider & embellish it! There is something about the seams in CQ that make me crazy. I really do not like where they come together.

How did you fare with your Bead Mandalas in 2012?

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

I could be, but in a totally different guise to cq. Before I journey anywhere I have to finish my travel journal. its been with me for so long, we've become great friends and we cannot be separated.

Cy said...

I am also looking forward to seeing what I come up with too Angela, haha.
I'll be posting about how each random thing is done, so you can see how I arrived at whatever I arrive at. The 'randomness' will be a work of art in itself, lol.

Cy said...

Carol, when my plane came down in Auckland Airport last December.... I hit the ground running and have not stopped running yet. I hope I can keep the momentum up for the rest of the year.

Working with lots of bright colours is not something I have done before. I usually have a defined colour scheme, so I am feeling a little bit apprehensive about 'holding' it all together on this one.

Debra Spincic said...

That's how I generally work too, Cy. Having the organization of the color wheel was a huge help to me.

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

Working around the colour wheel took me right out of my comfort zone, but kept me in a somewhat controlled state. Also I began the year using stranded floss and I'm now comfortable with a heavier thread. For me it was a great learning curve and one I feel more confident to build upon. Looking forward to your ever so colourful reveals - go for it!

Cy said...

My TAST project is going to be a 'sort of' whole cloth, even if it is a 'whole cloth' that I create myself. So that idea is similar to yours for wanting to embroider on.
I didn't manage to keep up with the beaded 'teardrops' for the BJP last year. I made about 4 or 5 and then gave up through lack of time to work on it. But I did stitch some bead mandala's on most of the cq blocks instead.
I do not have any beading planned for this year, but that could change ;)

Cy said...

Debra, working with colour on just these two shapes that look like ginger jars or spice jars, has already put a big smile on my face. Happy bunny time.

Debra Spincic said...

:-))

Cy said...

Carol, how I use thread is going to be different this year too. My TAST project will have all the variety of threads of differing thickness, colour, and texture, while the CQ will be more orderly, decorative and singular style threads, I think.

Suztats said...

Wow! Wow! Wow!
Kapow with the colour! I love it! Your 2013 will be anything but dull! I'm looking forward to seeing it evolve. Are you putting those shapes together around a circle center, perchance?
I look forward to your 2012 finish, too. I think your TAST plan will be very interesting to watch. I love free-form!

Barbara C said...

You've been fearless in challenging yourself. I'm fascinated with the idea of minimalist CQ and I look forward to seeing what comes from your needles this year.

Cy said...

Not sure what shape the centre is going to be yet Suz, but you have the general idea. I'm making this up as I go, so it will be a surprise for me too, haha.
Thank you for picking up on the free-form style even without me actually mentioning it, that is EXACTLY what I will be doing with TAST this year, free-form, and I am certainly looking forward to seeing what evolves from it.

Cy said...

Thank you Barabara, Fearless, haha, I like that. It's not a word that I would normally associate with myself, but yeh, I think it might just work this year. "Fearless" is now my official Word of the Year.

Debra Spincic said...

:-))

Suztats said...

Me, too!

cq4fun said...

Working on two separate projects, you are going to have a stitch-busy year! I love that shape for these blocks. That drew my eye first and then I read your words. I think a quilt made of blocks of just this shape would be extraordinary! But I'll bet whatever other shapes you include will be equally wonderful. I'm looking forward to seeing your 2013 project reveal to see how different it will be.

I consider myself a moderately minimalist person for the 2012 project. The Flower Fairies is the most embellishing I've ever done, and it somehow seemed to need all that extra fru-fru, but I doubt this year's project will be nearly as embellished. Back to normal. =) This almost seems too much to me, and it's nowhere near what Sharon or others would have done. =) Good luck with that goal, I think you will like the clean look of minimalism!

Stiching4fun said...

I love the colors you have chosen, I think it will be interesting to watch your blocks develop. Looking forward to seeing more.