January 20, 2013

Barbara's Construction Site



Part of my lag in putting this crazy quilt together has been thinking through a plan for how to deal with some of the structural challenges.  Despite my intentions, I ended up with blocks in a range of sizes,  so I decided to baste them to some gridded interfacing in order to line them up more or less evenly.


In a few places I ended up with some gaps between the block and the sashing, like you can see above.  In the lower block I inserted a piece of green ribbon, and in the upper block, I added a piece of woven ribbon Allie Aller sent me a few years ago, set at an angle.  If you look at the quilt in the photo below, you can see these are the top two blocks in the center column, and you can see the repair.


I've got the horizontal sashing almost completely sewn down.  I've cut the sashing with over-wide seam allowances, which I've pressed down on one side only.  I hand stitch the pressed side down, then turn and hand stitch the other side, coping with any irregularities as I go.  The vertical sashing is ready to be stitched, and I've chosen this fussy cut border print for the outer border.  I can see the end in sight!

9 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

It's frustrating when blocks don't come out the size expected but thankfully, with crazy quilting you can make adjustments you can't make with patchwork blocks.

Your layout looks very nice. Glad to see you posting again.

ladyhawthorne said...

Ditto what Debra said. The piece you put at an angle definitely does not show as a repair.
Love the floral border, just like a picture frame!

Cy said...

Paisleys, paisleys. I'm in love with paisleys. Great sashing fabric, and I'm happy you have worked through this minor set-back of the block sizes.
If you hadn't told us that you added ribbon to those two blocks that did not turn out the right size, I wouldn't have known they were the wrong size and that you needed to add to them to make them 'fit'. Did I say that alright? Hope you can understand what I meant, lol. I think my brain is about to turn into mush. I'm tired. I need forty winks, and it's only 4pm here.
Love that border fabric by the way.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

Looks great - never would have know. I love the sashing fabric!

Suztats said...

Left you a message on your blog. I, too, wouldn't have known there was any corrections made. I found there were size discrepancies with my block, too. Gee, how does that happen when they all start out the same size?! Must be beginners' luck..lol.
I like your sashing fabric- it really plays up the warm tones in your blocks-and goes so well with your border print! It'll be stunning.

cq4fun said...

I really like the border fabric you chose. It seems to unite all the colors of the quilt. This is a stunning finish for your blocks. I look forward to seeing it complete ... and I'll bet you do, too!

I'm also the other kind of quilter (not crazy quilts), so when I started, I made my blocks an inch larger, drew the finished size I wanted on the back, stitched half an inch away from that line and stitched a little inside it. Then at the finish, I trimmed them down to the size I wanted. Some of the blocks shrank more in stitching, and I think that was because of different stitching designs taking up more fabric. Or maybe just me being looser or tighter in my stitching.

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

Although we see each block progressing nothing can prepare us for viewing them as a whole. They look so rich and I agree with the others the border fabric is lovely.

Judy S. said...

Looks terrific, Barbara! I love the sashing fabric and the borders as well. It's going to be a very nice quilt (wall hanging?) when finished.

Stiching4fun said...

I love the sashing it really makes them all connect. The border compliments the whole layout. Very Nice!