January 27, 2013

Angela ~ TAST 2012 Embroidery Journal Bound


The embroidery journal is finally put together.
Not a very exciting cover but it works.  I made a front and back cover just slightly larger than my signatures (4 folded pages).  This thing is pretty thick so it looks more wonky in the photos than it really is.
I like the candy cane stripe appearance of the whip stitched edges, I'm rather glad I only did one with blanket stitch.
Here's the bound edge below.  I followed my stitching buddy Cy's advice and used the Coptic stitch.
I watched 3 different videos on how to do the Coptic stitch to bind and the last one was the best for me.  I could see what she was doing, she explained it plainly and did not hurry.  You can find that video here on Musings on Realities blog.
The pages open easy and lay nice and flat.
And the inside stitching is nice and neat.

The one thing I did different from the video tutorial is on each end I actually went back into the folio I was working with, caught a bit of fabric and came back out before adding the next folio.  I ended up with a thinner and wimpier line of stitching if I didn't do that.  It may not work with paper journals but my way worked nicer on this fabric journal.

I also think I may have pulled my stitching too tight on the binding, which again is what you want on a paper journal, maybe not so much on a fabric journal.  My pages are thicker on the outside edges because of the folded under fabric.  A thinner fabric would not have been so much a problem but aida cloth is thick and I was trying to be frugal and use it up.

I am also thinking of adding 2 straps that button onto the outside edge to help keep it together.  I think it would look appropriate as well.  The only other thing left is to print off some instructions and tuck them in the pockets the pages made, but I need to purchase another set of ink cartridges before I do that.

All in all I am well pleased with this project and am really glad I signed up for it.  It will be a while before I commit to something this time consuming again though.  I am looking forward to finishing up some UFOs and WIPs this year.

13 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

I don't know if you envisioned such a successful project when you started but it has turned into a masterpiece! I'm sure you can count this as one of your major needlework accomplishments. Very well done, Angela!!

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

Masterpiece indeed. I really like your Coptic Stitch binding it so beautifully suits your Embroidery Journal, thanks for the link.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

I'll third the "masterpiece" comments. What an accomplishment, you must be very satisfied with this. I love it.

Suztats said...

I saved that link for using in future. Thank you.
A wonderful journey through history and TAST 2012! I really like the striped effect on the page edges, and think you've created a marvelous keepsake!

ladyhawthorne said...

aw gee, thanks!

ladyhawthorne said...

I'm very happy with it but I don't think I'll do another on this scale. One year was plenty.

ladyhawthorne said...

The lady that has the Musings on Realities blog is a teacher so no wonder her tutorial was so good. I liked that her cat popped in to say hello too.

Judy S. said...

Awesome! What a fun and project project you've created. I hope you put your name and date on it somewhere for future generations! It's sure to become a family treasure.

cq4fun said...

It is an amazing finished project. I would love to sit down and leaf through it. I like the idea of the button straps, too. Congratulations on a job well done, and on keeping us entertained with wonderful information all year long!

Cy said...

It has been a great pleasure to follow this project for the whole year. Our weekly dose of history was a real eye-opener for me, and very entertaining, and there have been some very thought-provoking or memory making themes.
I'm so pleased that you were able to find a suitable video for Coptic stitch binding. The book looks fabulous now, and having all the pages in one book is a good source for future stitch inspirations.
Love the candy-stripe edges. That is something I would not have thought of, and I am rather impressed with your creativeness and ingenuity throughout.
Relax now, and enjoy your new book.

Pat in KS said...

I really don't know what to add.....it is beautiful piece of work, I wish I could have followed it from the beginning. Like the others have said it's a Masterpiece.

CarolynnS said...

What a wonderful book!! So much better than a paper journal! As with Pat, I don't know what I can add other than Wow!! What a grand idea, beautifully executed!

Barbara C said...

What a truly amazing project. You did a beautiful job. I wish I could leaf through it in person and review your clever compositions.