January 20, 2013

Angela ~ Pages All Done


All the pages are complete.  I stitched the edge of the last set first and used buttonhole.  It was taking too long so I switched to whip stitch for all the others.  I thought about redoing it to match but decided it needed to be different, just because.
As you can see I have about 3½ inches of pages to bind together.  The outside of the pages are thicker due to the turning under of the edges so this will not be a neat and precisely measured book.  But I like the handmade look, good thing huh?

I'll be working on the binding this week, might need to practice that a bit.  I wonder if I should do sections first then put those together.  I need to do some more research.

12 comments:

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

Great sense of satisfaction to see them altogether. Would you consider turning them into, say, 2 or 3 volumes covering 6 or 4 months stitches?

Debra Spincic said...

If it were my project, I would do them in sections. Maybe Carol's idea of quarterly sections would be more managable for you.

Suztats said...

I'll be watching to see just how you do the binding. You'll have a wonderful book!

ladyhawthorne said...

The problem with sections (and this is just me OCD which seems to get worse as I get older, never had it when I was younger) is there are 13 signatures which will not split up evenly. I know that sounds stupid but it would bug me. Still working this part out.

ladyhawthorne said...

Just watched several how to videos and Cy is right, the Coptic stitch will work the best and I can do it as one book. With this method the pages are flexible and will lay open flat. Thanks Cy!

Barbara C said...

This looks amazing already. I'm glad you solved your binding question.

Cy said...

You are welcome Angela. xx

Cy said...

These would definitely be more effective as one complete book. I'd be afraid the 'sections' mentioned earlier may become separated from each other at some time in the future.
Nice to have them all in one place.
Coptic stitch is easy once you start. Just make sure you mark the thread 'holes' in the same place on each signature, and it will look very smart.

Debra Spincic said...

Glad you are able to lead us to the right answers!

Debra Spincic said...

Sounds like Cy solved your sections issue.

cq4fun said...

I have seen hand bound books, and I believe they were done in sections first, and then the sections bound together, but I think you should do what seems to work best for your pages. This book is going to be unique in every way, and the pages are thicker than paper. What a treasure!

Judy S. said...

Can't wait to see what you decide to do! I must admit though, I've been missing those interesting weekly tidbits of the past year!