January 6, 2013

Angela ~ Journal Beginnings


I'm done making the pages for my fabric embroidery journal.  Now I am working on making them into an actual book.
First I trimmed the edges to each piece then folded where the basting stitch is.
Then I basted the edges neatly. 
Next I placed 2 pieces back to back and stitched down the middle of the facing pages.  Each piece of fabric has 2 pages.
Then I stitched the back to back pages together, the first one I used buttonhole stitch.  I decided thaqt took too long so I switched to whip stitch.
I left the top of the pages open to form a pocket where I will store the printed instructions for the stitch.
Here's the stack of 6 I got done this week.

11 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

I'm with you so far. How will you attach them together? Will they stack on top of each other(open) and then one stitch through the middle? Or?

Deborah McLaughlin said...

That is going to be so neat. I can't wait to see it all put together.

ladyhawthorne said...

Each section of 4 pages will stay as it is and be stacked like in the last photo. Then I'll treat them as if they were paper and use a bookbinding stitching technique. At least that's the plan. I've never done it so it will be an experiment.

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Great start. I love the pocket idea and the colorful stitched edging.

Debra Spincic said...

. . . and bulky as all get out. Maybe the aida cloth will work to your advantage. Hope so.

Judy S. said...

Great idea to include the stitch instructions. Don't know about you but many of the new ones weren't done enough to "stick"! Your book is going to be amazing!

Cy said...

Holey moley this is a fabulous way to complete your journal.
The simple Coptic stitch would be the best stitch to bind all your signatures* together. *A Signature is the name for the folded pages and usually consists of a few (paper) pages folded together, but in your journal it would refer to the each of the individual back-to-back fabric pages folded over, as in your last photo.
I can't wait to see this project finished.

ladyhawthorne said...

Thanks for the tip Cy. I've never done bookbinding but if I like it, it might end up being yet another hobby...oh, no! LOL.

Debra Spincic said...

There's a remedy for that, Judy! *wink*

Suztats said...

This is going to be one fabulous book! I love the pocket idea, and the stacked pages look good together. I haven't done any book binding either, so I'll be interested to see how you do it.

desertskyquilts said...

Thank you for showing your process in such detail. I couldn't imagine how this was going to work, but I see it clearly now. Such a great sampler of stitches and information, too.