December 29, 2012

Suz-December Reveal

Hi everyone. Hope your Christmas was Merry!
I'm still recovering from my fall, and haven't done much stitching at all......until Friday night when I finished the third Dorset button for my CQJP December block.

I added a bit of seam stitching in red, keeping this block quite simple. I think I've slowly been moving towards simpler embellishments the more blocks I've completed.









What I learned this year from CQJP:
Simpler is better for backgrounds. This creates a cohesive beginning, to my thinking, and then allows for more options in embellishing. I think my choices of fabrics were too busy for the Christmas blocks, with too many patterns, and then I was limited in the embellishments I could add. Some blocks may stand alone, but, even with a bland material for sashing, I feel my blocks are too busy to be joined together, except for maybe a few. Lesson learned.
CQJP 2013 will have a one colour background in mostly solids to create a simple base on which I can play!
Hmmm, you know, looking at this pic, they don't seem too bad...........what do you think? Maybe a white, lace sashing?

I shall experiment with my 2012 blocks to see how they may be used. More on that when I've made some decisions.

TAST:
I was not able to stitch for this weeks' TAST. I've decided not to play catch-up as I prefer to move ahead towards 2013, as there are several projects I've signed up for, as well as CQJP. I'd like to make a beginning on them once I'm a little more mobile.

WIPs
Jewel's block was packed away for Christmas visiting, but I shall soon unpack it, and work on finishing the beading and sewing the pillow. I'll post pics when I'm finished.

Thank you to everyone for their comments and encouragement throughout 2012! Had it not been for your support, I might not have completed my blocks or have gone as far with TAST as I did. You Rock!
Being a lone stitcher out in the bush, without nearby guilds, classes, or stitching friends, I so enjoyed having feedback from people whose work I find inspiring, so thanks, too, for all the wonderful eye candy.  I hope to see you all in 2013!
Wishing you and yours All the Best for a Safe and Happy New Year!!
Hugs from Suz

9 comments:

ladyhawthorne said...

I know what you mean by being out there by yourself with no stitching friends. The tiny group I was in disbanded some months ago. I think your colorful blocks are beautiful as they are and I really like the idea of a white lace sashing, just like snow!

Judy S. said...

White lace sashing sounds good to me too. This online group has been fun for me too, as not many of my friends do any stitching or knitting for that matter. I've learned lots as well.

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

Yes, have to agree with the others lace sashing would frame your beautiful blocks so well - snowflakes.

Debra Spincic said...

I'm grooving on the lace sashing as well. My suggestion would be to separate the 2 blocks with the poinsettia fabric into different rows, add the white lace, tat some snowflakes to scatter around and move that puppy to the finished pile. It would be lovely to pull out each Christmas season to enjoy.

cq4fun said...

When I looked at the blocks on the wall, I thought they looked quite nice together. There's a nice blending of red, white and green. With or without the lace, I think they look fine together.

Suztats said...

Thanks everyone! I've actually decided on using 9 of the blocks in a wall hanging (12 is too big). I like the idea of the white lace being snow, and my tatted snowflakes should cover any bare areas and also be a unifying feature. I haven't been tatting, as I thought I would, all through the year, so now I'd better get working on those snowflakes!Guess I know what I'm doing New Years' Eve...lol.
Hugs from Suz

Debra Spincic said...

Maybe the other 3 can become the centers for decorative pillows. Then you would have some matching accessories. I have some Christmas pillows for the couch I enjoy each season. I don't, however, have a finished Christmas wallhanging!

Cy said...

I love your Christmas wall hanging Suz, finished or not, haha. Yes, I too, like the idea of white sashing with lace snow and tatted snowflakes. This is definitely going to be a cheerful family heirloom.
Congratulations on finishing all the blocks. I'm looking forward to seeing your 2013 colour scheme .

Barbara C said...

Your blocks look very nice together, and the white sashing will be a nice touch.