December 16, 2012

Angela~ Berry Stitch Roman Headband


I was totally under-whelmed by the Berry Stitch.  It does have it's uses but I'm not impressed with it.  It was easy and quick though, a definite plus with Christmas upon us.
I managed to finish the page even though pressed for time as my parents are coming to visit and there is sooooo very much to do to get ready.  As my English friends say, the house is a tip!
The berry stitch was used for Julian's headband and the large circle at the front of it, 2 strands cotton floss except for the large circle which was 6 strands.

This image is from a coin struck during his reign.  If you like ironies you will enjoy knowing that Julian was the last emperor in the first Christian dynasty which began with Constantine.  Sadly, Julian was called 'the apostate' because he rejected Christianity.  Apparently he was a fairly good ruler and he was the last non-Christian ruler for the Roman Empire.   

8 comments:

Judy S. said...

I agree about this stitch although you did a great job with it! Have fun with your folks. How come the days in December go by so fast?

Debra Spincic said...

Underwhelmed is a good description. I felt the same. Another good example. Your backstitch has gotten alot of practice this year!

ladyhawthorne said...

Backstitch is fast & easy which I desperately need right now. Sure wish those house elves would come help me! I would be happy to give them all the socks they want!

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

Great use for berry stitch, I'm still very much in catch-up mode.

Cy said...

The headband is a great idea for this stitch. You have such great imagination each week. I'm sure you still spend a lot of time on backstitch even if it is (as you say) "fast & easy".

ladyhawthorne said...

I do embroidery after work while I'm watching a movie or listening to the radio so it doesn't feel like it takes any time.

Suztats said...

I do the same, LadyH. It keeps my hands occupied while I meditate. I found this stitch a little ho-hum, too, but perhaps, given the season, a simple stitch is better.
Thank you for my history lesson, too. I always enjoy your stitchings. Good idea for the headband!

cq4fun said...

I've learned so much enjoyable history from your project this year. The berry stitch is perfect for his headband. I love the way you recreated an authentic coin picture.