November 12, 2012

Carolynn--buttonhole wheel cups, closed base needlewoven picot

Hello--
I have been stitching! but I keep missing my posting time!

I put buttonhole wheel cups and closed base needlewoven picots in this floral motif, along with some whipped wheels, bullions, and cast-on flowers.  They may be a little hard to see because the colors are similar and the stitches are so crowded, but that actually is what I was trying to accomplish: a very encrusted section similar to several that Sharon has used as illustrations.

(As usual, this is importing sideways--don't know why!) (The kitty is a motif put on a year or so ago; this block is one of my UFO's!)

In another spot, I tried a motif with a button, a charm, and various flowers:


Finally, I tried the knotted loop stitch on two lines, trying to make the arms of the stitches close to parallel, even though the seams are not parallel.  As I continue working on this, I want to try to "encrust" embellishment in the pointed area of the bottom of the figure. Don't know yet how it will turn out, but. . . what are UFO's for, if not to experiment!!


7 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

All of your experiments look fine to me. It's good to get some UFOs tackled in the meantime; much more interesting than working on plain scrap fabric.

Suztats said...

I love the flower spray, and the way it travels over several fabric pieces in the first pic. Your big bird (blue heron? crane?) looks great. It's fun to play and practice.

ladyhawthorne said...

That's some beautiful stitching! And I really like the shiny thread. I think I was a magpie in a previous life, LOL.

cq4fun said...

What a beautiful block. I think you were quite successful with both the flower sprays. I can hardly wait to see how the whole blocks looks. The knotted stitching around the bird is just perfect. If it is a heron, they are often found in areas with low grasses like that. I like the variation in length of the legs of the stitching, too. It seems a great addition to that spot.

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

Great stitching and the colours are fabulous.

Judy S. said...

Love that heron! Where'd you find that fun dragonfly? Nice stitching!

Cy said...

I'm loving the encrusted floral area Carolynn. That encrusted look is something I seem to be drawn to in my own work too lately.
Your experiments have turned out great. It's always fun to 'play'.