October 27, 2012

Susan: Flower Fairies First Border

It's been another busy week where I had little time. I was determined to get the first border ready for stitching this coming week, though, so I sat down this morning and pieced for a while.

This is the first border for the Flower Fairies quilt. The center is 27" square, and I made this 6 x 31. After the stitch shrinkage, trimming, and seams, I figure it will be 4.5 x 27. It is straight. My photography and cropping are crooked. You can click to get it a little larger. This is the left side border.

Choosing laces for this border was the most enjoyable part of the piecing time. That third lace is slightly pink and was a gift, as was the bottom be-ribboned one. The bottom one was from my friend, Candi, and I'm not sure about the other one. The top one is white and from a lace buy I did several years ago. The circular one is part of a yard of antique eyelet I bought in California about 7 years ago. My best friend, Fran, and I were on a trip back from PIQF and found an antique store across the street from a favorite quilt shop in Clovis, CA.

It's an awkward size to show in its entirely, and also get close enough to really see, but when I do stitching on it, I will showcase different sections. When it came down to it, I decided I wanted the Flower Fairies off-center, instead of right in the middle, as I had originally thought. There is this red one, a blue one, a yellow one, and a lavender one. Doing this has sort of pushed the excitement up a notch again. Not only am I coming to the close, and actually finishing it, but I feel the excitement of doing the stitiching on these borders. The shape makes it something a little different. I think I was getting jaded on the squares.

6 comments:

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

They will be too beautiful to be called "borders", they are strips of loveliness.

Debra Spincic said...

Yes, I can see how the strips will be a fun & different change from the squares. Pretty already!

Judy S. said...

Fun! So glad you're adding fairies to the borders! It's going to be an amazing piece.

Suztats said...

I like all the fabrics and laces on the diagonal....I think it will play well against the hozizontal/vertical lines of the blocks. This is really clever, and looks so appealing. I like the idea of the fairies off-center, too. Lovely laces!

ladyhawthorne said...

Can't wait to see more, this is a great idea!

Cy said...

Lovely to have the continuity of the fairies in the border too. So glad to see your quilt coming together like this.