October 15, 2012

Carolynn --knotted loop, beaded hedebo, costume!

I've been doing the minimal amount of stitching to stay up-to-date. Still learning the stitches, but I don't have a big project I'm working on to show them off; I just put them on UFO's to give them a try.

Here's the beaded hedebo from last week; I like this one and need to give it a try on a larger scale.


 I, like several others, had trouble with the knotted loop stitch, until I discovered the key:

"Slide the needle under the first stitch passing it from right to left.
Keep the working thread under the needle"
Once I realized that, the stitch became easy!



However. . .  here's what I've really been working on the last couple of weeks!




The pattern is sized for adult women, so I had to alter it down to fit a (very slender) ten-year-old. The overdress bodice is interfaced, lined, and boned--that should give my little princess a taste of what life was like in former times!   This has been a fun project!

8 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

I think your hint on the looped stitch is what I was thinking was a backwards loop. It is a good stitch to learn and do. I can see it filling a real purpose in the future.

What a fun costume to be working on! Hopefully there are others in the family who can wear this when this young lady outgrows it. I made a shark costume once that got alot of use from my family and then a friend's family.

ladyhawthorne said...

You did some beautiful stitches and your fabrics are wonderful.

Having made quite a few renaissance costumes, I applaud you. It looks wonderful!

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

You've proved how versatile knotted loop stitch can be, love the gold on dark red. Surely a dress fit for a princess in more ways than one!

Cy said...

That's a gorgeous colour thread used on the beaded hebedo, and how clever to use it to decorate the lace too. It gives a very 'rich' look to the seam.
Very nice knotted loop stitching Carolynn, and thanks for the tip, it will help me as I give this 'funny' stitch a test this week.
Excellent work on the costume. Your princess (and you) should be very proud of that. Love the sleeve 'slashing' and the frilly blouse.

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

I really like the way you used the beaded hedebo to tack the lace down, as well as the other contrasting stitches used on the lace. Your use of the knotted loop on your seam in scalloped format is very attractive and fills the transformation from one fabric to the next nicely. The costume is out of this world. The sleeves are a show stopper!

Judy S. said...

Great costume and stitching. Hope you'll update with a photo of said princess wearing the costume!

Judy S. said...

Oops....I see you did already.

Suztats said...

Oh, I LOOOOVE that costume. Your princess will be smashing.
I like your use of the hedebo to anchor the lace, and how you carried the thread colour into the lace, and the colour of the lace to the pearls in the beaded hedebo. Nice.
I like your knotted loop stitch and I adore that variegated thread.