September 1, 2012

Judy ~ Sheaf Stitch and August Reveal


Wow, I sure hate to see the end of August! Where 2012 is going so fast is beyond me, that's for sure. I used the sheaf stitch to add a little interest to Sue's sleeves and had fun fiddling around with the trim on her dress and bonnet. The cabled chain (it's a silvery grey not blue!) worked perfectly on the swing and was also a good review. Most of these new stitches sure aren't automatic for me yet. Now that I've finished 8 blocks, I'm thinking it's about time for a trip to the fabric store. Any suggestions? Because the blocks are 9 inches, I'll probably just sash them and do a border.  Happy Labor Day to those of you celebrating!

13 comments:

cq4fun said...

Oh, I love your latest block! This is so beautiful, and the sleeve addition was just the perfect thing for a little girl-on-a-swing dress.

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

Swing high swing low - super block and I do like the addition of the butterflies.

Judy S. said...

Thanks, Susan!

Judy S. said...

Some blocks have flutterbies and some have birds. ;-)

Debra Spincic said...

Really a sweet block-one of my favorites!

If your blocks are 9", then you could easily have a wallhanging. Making a wallhanging would preserve the stitching better & longer.

Judy S. said...

I'll have to think about that...never done one unless you count cross stitch.

Peacock said...

These blocks are so fun! Great use of the TAST stitches. :)

Cy said...

I agree with the other comments here that this is a beautiful Sue.
A great use of the cabled chain stitch, and you have also used many other stitches to great effect here too.
For the sashing, my personal choice would be to choose a colour, or colours, of the threads within the blocks. But you may find, that on *auditioning* a variety of fabrics to these blocks, that you may come across one that really has the desired look that you are wanting to achieve.

Barbara C said...

You've made such wonderful progress on these blocks, how nice to be at the sashing stage. I love the way you used chain stitch for the rope. I think this block is my favorite.

Judy S. said...

Still 4 to go, but I am anxious to see how it's going to come together.

Judy S. said...

I see another trip to the fabric store. Oh darn! ;-)

Judy S. said...

Thanks, Tahlia!

Debra Spincic said...

At 9", even with very wide sashing and border, it would be a small quilt. The blocks look to me like they could be trimmed --maybe to 8"?

If you did a 3 x 4 layout, the minimum would be 27 x 36 w/out sashing and border. Add in about 2-3" for sashing and a 4" border and you are still under 45" for the width.