September 30, 2012

Barbara's September CQJP, some TAST, and Project Re-design


I frequently get about 75% of the way through a project when I just run out of steam.  As usual, I hit a wall with this project over the last month.  It took me a long time to piece the one-more-block I needed to go on, and then the embroidery lagged until I got sidelined with a cold, and with some unexpected free time, I finished the embellishment. 


I started to wonder if I could get away with making this a 9 vs 12 block piece.  I already had misgivings over my original plan to put an image of St. Francis in the middle of the blocks.  I also liked the size of nine 8-inch blocks, and began to see that three more blocks weren't going to add any significant elements to the piece.  


I then recalled that I have a St. Francis medal (alongside one of St. Claire) in one block, and I moved that one to the center.


 
I found some possible sashing fabric: a brown paisley, some shiny fabric for a thin inner border, and an outer border candidate in gold and tan.





I'm pretty much resolved to spend the rest of this year sashing and piecing these nine blocks.  It will probably require some embroidery on the sashing and the blocks may need some tweaking: for example that large sunflower patch in this month's block needs to be reduced or toned down.  

Now that I have a new plan the "are we there yet?" feeling is somewhat at bay.  We'll see what construction challenges lie ahead as I tackle the rest of this project.

17 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

With all your blocks arranged, you definitely see the bird theme.
I like the prettier fabric to the right over the beiges. Since you are not emphasizing St. Francis now, maybe you can use the brighter fabric more dominantly.

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

Your 9 blocks look great and, like Debra, prefer the bluey-green fabric over the beiges. I'd be hard pressed to choose a favourite block as they all look lovely. Colds are horrid, but this one certainly came in useful!

Judy S. said...

It's hard to figure out sashing and borders, I agree. Must feel good to have made that "9 is enough" decision though. I just ordered some fabric last night; we'll see if it works! Gotta do all 12 though...Love the cactusy-feel of this recent block and the way your embellishment compliments the cross stitching. Nicely done!

Cy said...

Loving this autumnal colour block. I can see how you would think that this nine is enough for a wall hanging. Looks lovely together. Does this mean that you will now be making a 3-block table runner to match the wall hanging so that you get the 12 blocks for CQJP?
Lots of eye-candy in your stitching this week.

Barbara C said...

Thanks for that feedback, I really do like that shiny fabric.

Barbara C said...

Yes, talk about a silver lining. I had plans to go out of town for the weekend, so when I cancelled I had a totally clear calendar in which to catch up with various things, including this project.

Barbara C said...

Hmmm...I hadn't thought of the table runner option....

Barbara C said...

Good for you for sticking with the 12 blocks, but yours could be a nice bed quilt, while mine is limited to a wall hanging. Smaller is better I think in my case.

ladyhawthorne said...

9 blocks look really great. Love all the birds, it's your own personal aviary!

CarolynnS said...

Boy do I know that feeling of wanting to be done!!
Thank you, Debra, for pointing out how the new arrangement highlights the birds!
I think I agree with the others that you might want to go with the shiny blue/green/aqua fabric for the sashing. It pulls those colors out of your blocks and adds some pizzazz. BUT--I know how hard it is to find the right sashing; you have to look at it in the right light, consider where you'll hang it, etc. So good luck!!

cq4fun said...

I do love the stitching on this block (and not just because there is cactus fabric in the corner!), but look forward to seeing what you do with the sunflower fabric. It will be a lovely wall-hanging with 9 blocks. That's been my plan, and I'm happy to reach these last three months where I can work on the 4 CQ borders to go with the blocks set solid.

Suztats said...

I must be in the minority here re the sashing: I like how the beige fabric on the right picks up all the warm tones in your blocks. I think I would save that brighter fabric for a wide seam binding around the warm beige. But that's just MHO.
I too, plan to make my wall hanging out of 9 blocks, and use the remaining three in a table runner. For my house, 12 blocks would be too big a wall-hanging. I don't think I have a bare wall that big!
I like the lay-out of your blocks, and it all feels harmonious.

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Your shiny colorful fabric really brings out the colors in the blocks, your more subtle paisley fabric gives more importance to the blocks, and the richer golds and browns pull the richness of the blocks out and seems to unify them. I don't think you can go wrong with any or a combination of all three. Each of the three will have a different effect on the overall look. I'm glad you have approached this subject though. I just bought some fabric to use as sashing for my blocks even though I have three more blocks to go. Now I need to figure out construction because I've never done it. Any tips or tried and true methods anyone has?

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

BTW, I really like your latest block and how it goes perfectly with all the others.

Barbara C said...

Thanks Connie. Debra had some strategies for constructing the blocks that I thought I'd use. It involves top-stitching the sashing down (or hand sewing invisibly). Debra, maybe you can post a link to your technique.

Barbara C said...

Thanks for weighing in on the sashing fabric Suz. I guess I'll have to cut strips and preview the impact of each choice.

Cy said...

I like the brown paisley best with your blocks too Barbara. And I can see the gold/tan fabric will work perfectly as the outer border.