September 16, 2012

Angela~ Pistil Stitch for 9/11


Pistil stitch is basically a french knot but with a long tail.  Since I like doing french knots, I also liked doing pistil stitch.  I believe it made for a pretty nice effect for Henry's Ruff.
The ruff is done with pearl cotton while everything else is 2 strands of cotton floss.
*
When I was doing the research for historical happenings for 9/11, beyond the one in all our minds, I found 2 other events for that date that linked all 3 together.

In 1609 Henry Hudson discovered what would becomes known as Manhattan Island.
In 1941 ground was broken for the construction of the Pentagon building.
And of course in 2001 both the Pentagon and the WTC on Manhattan Island were both attacked by terrorists.
*
Does anyone else find this odd?

11 comments:

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

Great stitching and wonderful pistil ruff. Interesting and thought provoking 9/11 link.

Debra Spincic said...

Not odd but certainly interesting. Great idea for the ruff.

Judy S. said...

Interesting! DH's childhood friend was in one of the towers that day....

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

That is just eerie! It was such a sad day. My current boss lost his brother in the 9/11 attack. It is also my DH's birthday but he is in no way tied to this. Your stitching is amazing! The stitch worked perfectly for the collar.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

Brilliant stitching. Interesting collection of facts about 9/11.

Suztats said...

It's a little creepy (the connection-Not the stitching!)
The pistil worked wonderfully for the ruff!

desertskyquilts said...

I find the linking of facts amazing. Maybe there is a plan, after all. =) Love the ruff on Hudson. It IS perfect.

ladyhawthorne said...

Thanks for all your kind words, I'm pretty pleased with the ruff myself. I have a UFO that may get this treatment too.

Cy said...

Three history facts for the price of one. We get a good bargain this week.
Lovely pistil stitch Angela, and I love how you have stitched Henry's face too.
Going off on a 'slight' tangent now.... we have a chicken called Henry, lol.

Barbara C said...

Ingenious application of the pistil stitch. I think it's good to look at historical events in a broad context and combining multiple events on this day is an interesting touch.

Peacock said...

What a clever use of pistil stitch to create the lace ruff! Another beautifully planned and excecuted piece of stitching, Angela.