August 25, 2012

Susan: CQJP August update

I made some progress, and that was a good thing. Not as much as I hoped, but it leaves less to do over Labor Day weekend to finish. Hopefully, if you click on the pictures you will get bigger versions. It doesn't seem to work the way it used to, when it worked the way I liked it. Since Blogger "upgraded" to this "better" system, nothing seems to work the way I liked it. =( First, the Pekinese Stitch. I liked this stitch very much. The two colors of linen are also different weaves. It made a difference in how the stitch looks, though you probably can't tell in the picture. I enjoyed making that wavy line, and I think this is the first TAST stitch this year that will become a new "go to" stitch, as Deb always says. I haven't decided exactly how to embellish it.

Next, this is a seam that I did based on a bit from the old Singer sewing card that had 100 Crazy Patchwork Stitches on it. Sadly, I don't have the original antique card, but I do have a print-out that I made from one. Also, Betty Pillsbury had, at one time, offered the free print out. She had replaced the Singer logo with her own, so I don't know if she is still offering it, because Singer may have taken exception. That was a few years back. Anyway, it's at the bottom end of the far right row, if you happen to have that card or a copy of it.

This last is just a piece of lace from an antique bit (quite a bit!) that I bought somewhere or other. I've fastened it down with very dark green triangle beads - one of my favorite beads, and it's in at least two other blocks, too.

Now I'm off to North Carolina for a turn-around weekend visit with each of my sons. Long, stressful, and overdue.

13 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

Just like any other form of quilting, one has to develop "go to" solutions for predictable CQ opportunities. This year's TAST should fill the "go to" stitch category. Next, we need to figure out some tried and true combinations and motifs.

Glad you got some stitching done. It's more than I can say.

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

Pekinese wavy lines looks very attractive and the colours beautifully match your fairy silky, also the "Singer card" combination works well on your stripy fabric.

dezertsuz said...

This is the first new one I've picked. A lot of the stitches aren't *brand* new to me, but I have a group of stitches I like to use, thing I feel I can do tons of embellishments and have them all look different. This one was one I don't remember doing in the past, and I really like it. Here's hoping you get some stitching time soon!

(cq4fun.wordpress.com is the new blog addy)

cq4fun said...

Thanks! When I first got that yellow and pink plaid Dupioni, I didn't know how I'd ever use it, but it's helped out in a lot of places, and now, of course, I wish I had more!

Debra Spincic said...

Isn't that the way it is once the fabric's secret is unlocked?

ladyhawthorne said...

Lovely stitching, I really liked the pekinese stitch too. Enjoy your visiting!

Judy S. said...

I love the pink plaid fabric, Susan, and the stitching on it. Your Pekinese stitch looks great, too. I really like the way it looks with 2 colors of thread. Those triangle beads are nifty. I enlarged your photo and could see how they almost look like tiny houses. Safe travels.

Peacock said...

Oh yes. That's the way it is with fabric, either never enough or oops I got way too much. Why is that? The fabrics I think I'm always going to want (so I buy ten yards of) suddenly seem dated (almost overnight, it seems!) and the fabrics I just didn't know what to do with or thought were going to be a one-trick pony suddenly seem to be the go-to for every project, except I only have the tiny scraps left over from a quarter-yard specific-project purchase. Ack!

Peacock said...

Nice stitching! The pekinese is going to be one of my favorites, too, I'm sure. :)

cq4fun said...

I believe we shop in somewhat the same way. =)

cq4fun said...

Thank you for all your nice comments. I really did like that stitch!

cq4fun said...

I never realized it, but they do look a bit like houses. Pointy little roofs!

Cy said...

That's a beautiful curvy line of Pekinese stitch. Oh how I love that variegated thread you used.