August 5, 2012

Barbara's July TAST and CQJP


In between a couple of out of town trips I finished my July CQJP block.



Pink Basque stitch is accented with hearts.  The cardinal's branch has some oyster stitch leaves.


I added some fern stitch and button flowers to my faux ceramic pot.  I wish that green had a higher contrast against the blue background.



I pulled this crochet motif from the goody box circulating among some of the Tuesday Stitchers and added a bouquet of silk ribbon flowers.



There's the up and down buttonhole stitch in red, accented with more buttons.  The button stash got heavy use this month.

11 comments:

ladyhawthorne said...

Such a colorful block full of interesting things to see. I love how the 2 birds seem to be chatting to each other.

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

Lovely colours, clever use of buttons and great seam treatments, together making another wonderful block.

Judy S. said...

Lots of fun things to see on this block! I love the potted plant, the cardinal, and the way you embellished the crocheted piece. Well done!

Debra Spincic said...

The already stitched motif gives you extra credit on this block! Very well integrated seams and sections.

Cy said...

Bird life in the garden. I love all the elements of this block Barbara. A wonderfully cheerful scene that could be my own garden (but we don't have cardinals over here).
Your SRE flowers are lovely, and I really like those small white button flowers on the potted plant.
The cross-stitch piece is gorgeous too.

Suztats said...

Lots of wonderful eye candy here! Such a cheerful block, and I love the birds. I think my fave bit is the treatment of the gold curve around the red flowers with the pink button centers: it really moves the eye down the block past the plaid, and repeats the colour in that cute pot, the gold ribbon flowers and the golden underside of the large bird.

Barbara C said...

I like the idea that the birds are chatting. Great observation.

Barbara C said...

I can't claim credit for the cross-stitched bit since I cut it from a doily, but I'll claim credit for getting it out of my drawer and cutting it up, which took a bit of courage for me.

Barbara C said...

Thanks ladies, your comments keep me working on this project.

CarolynnS said...

I like your use of the plaid! I usually avoid plaids, thinking they won't embellish well, but yours fits right in!

Peacock said...

I love all of the heart buttons! And your golden yellow SRE flowers are gorgeous. :)