August 12, 2012

Angela~ Cast On Penny


This stitch was very easy if a little fiddly.  Kind of like a cross of embroidery, macrame and knitting.
The cast on was used as the wide border to the penny, done flat rather than puffy and with 6 strands of cotton floss.  I'll be using this stitch somewhere in the future, I quite like it.  All other stitching was done in back stitch and stem stitch to keep it simple, in 2 strands of floss.

August 7, 1959 was the date the Lincoln Memorial was first put on the back of the Lincoln penny, replacing the wheat ears used for many years.  Lincoln's statue can be seen on a real penny, but I left it out of the stitched piece.

10 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

Another great use of the cast on as a border. You could write a book on using stitches for borders.

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

Would be a best seller. Lovely stitching Angela.

ladyhawthorne said...

Ya know, sometimes the stitches just don't work for the subjects I find so borders will do if I can think of nothing else.

Debra Spincic said...

I think the borders are very clever and you should somehow be able to benefit from the year's work.

Suztats said...

The cast-on works great as a border! Nicely done.

Cy said...

Love the scallop styled coin edging. What a fabulous idea. And all that lovely back-stitch too. That's a lot of work.

Judy S. said...

Wow, you made a lot of these little guys! I can sure relate to borders. Don't know what I'd do without SBS's hat band and sleeves. Nice stitching, Angela. I always look forward to seeing what you've been up to each week.

Peacock said...

Oh my gosh, what an adorable penny!! You stitch SO beautifully!

Barbara C said...

Beautiful work and ingenious application of the stitch!

cq4fun said...

That is so amazing! I love the way you used the cast on stitch for that wider border. So creative.