July 28, 2012

Suz--TAST


A new stitch to me again this week. Heeding Debra's advice to use a heavier thread, I thought I would try this stitch with a colourful yarn I had on hand.
I thought the colours would show the movement of the stitch and look pretty.

Hmmm. Not so much.

Some were loose and messy, so I tried a few more.
 Well, no wow factor for me

I decided to try it in a perle thread instead
I think it looked neater in the green perle.

a closer look shows the shape a bit better
Even trying a few other stitches didn't help


I think if I was wanting a dimensional stitch, I would prefer to use a cast-on stitch to the oyster

It's not a stitch I plan to use again as it lacks any appeal for me

I think I can sum it up in one word:- meh



I hope next week has a more challenging and interesting stitch.

Thanks.
Hugs from Suz

14 comments:

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

Sue, I really like your Oyster Stutch and adore the variegated thread.. Your green Oysters look like a necklace.

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

I don't know what the cast-on stitch is yet, but I like it better than the Oyster stitch too ~ lol. It was just OK for me. I do like your yarn version, at least in the photo. Maybe it isn't so good in person? You did a nice job on the stitch and the green perle is very pretty.

Judy S. said...

I agree, it sure looks like perle thread works best. I had trouble gettin the loop from the original chain to remain in place without being secured. Did you figure out how to get around that?

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

Judy, I experienced the same problem and had to make my Oysters smaller.

Debra Spincic said...

I think the variegated yarn is a fun touch! and I like it made into a flower too! Very groovy!

Suztats said...

I followed Mary Corbett's advice to place the needle into the spot to take to the back, and then tightened the loop. It made it easier.

Suztats said...

In person the yarn is colourful and happy, but I still don't like the stitches. It seemed a lot of hand motion for not much result. If you needle tat (sorry, I can never remember who does what type of tatting or even IF they tat...brain fog) then you can do the cast-on stitch.....it's just the second half of the tatting ds repeated on the needle. Mary Corbett from Needle'n'Thread has a good vid showing how to do it.

Suztats said...

Sort of like green pearls....

Suztats said...

It does sort of have that 70's vibe, doesn't it?

ladyhawthorne said...

Well I like your colorful yarn flowers! The green oysters are pretty too. I used regular floss and it definitely needs the pearl cotton, or is it perl? I can never remember.

Debra Spincic said...

Truthfully, alot of the stitches are a waste of motion. But, it's all in the learning process. Some will be keepers & some not.

Cy said...

Me too, I like both your colourful oysters and the green pearl ones. I had problems with that 1st chain part staying in place too.

cq4fun said...

I love the look of all of it together. Like a floral smiley face. =)

Peacock said...

Personally, I love the way your variegated oysters came out! I will have to try that myself! :)