July 21, 2012

Suz----Basquing in TAST Stitches

I've discovered that 'my' Basque stitch ( according to Judith Baker Montano's "Embroidery & Crazy Quilt Stitch Tool") is not like everyone else's. So, I'm basquing by myself ........maybe it's a bad basque
Here's what I wrote before I found out about the sitch discrepancy:

 Yes, this week's TAST is the Basque stitch, which I thought quite interesting. I liked the way it stands away from the fabric.


You can see the height and shadow on my happy face circle
here I stitched alternating levels over horizontal lines...makes kind of a grid
a simple fence line
roping some wheat sheaves
5 rows of alternating stitches
this would make an interesting filler

and voila........my sampler



















I used the basque stitch to couch down some pretty ribbon with a very fine variegated thread
and then tried a variation of the stitch to create a double vertical line with a thicker thread, also couching ribbon along the seam.







hmmmmm
So, now I'm wondering, if this isn't the basque stitch,  what the heck is it??! Anybody know?
Thanks. Guess I better try the other Basque stitch.
Hugs from Suz

13 comments:

Peacock said...

Heh! Whatever it is, it looks like fun! In the bottom-most picture I can almost see the structure of the stitch, but I'm still not sure how you made it! It looks like a lot of fun, anyway!

Debra Spincic said...

Your stitch looks vaguely familiar so I looked in the JMB book I have and it may be the Basque Knot you stitched. At any rate, you did a bang up job and got some interesting combinations!

ladyhawthorne said...

I'll concur with everyone else, who cares what it is, it looks superb!

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

More like Basquing in glory! Great sampler, I really like the neat looking rail fence. Your face has a right to be happy overseeing all those stitches.

Barbara C said...

Yes, great sampler. How about calling it a Basque stitch variation? The five row combination is really cool.

Cy said...

It has a somewhat Palestrina knot look to it, but different, lol. Love it anyway what ever it is. You have some lovely variations and it's great to see them on your cq block.

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

I agree with Debra that it is the basque knot. Great samples Suz. I really like the textural effect of the stacked rows. Now when the stitch is the basque knot you can do the regular basque stitch ;-)

Suztats said...

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I didn't know there was a basque stitch and a basque knot! I re-checked by JBM book, but it's listed as a stitch, and neither is listed anywhere in any of my other stitch reference books. Maybe I need some new books...heheheh
I like your idea, Connie. Happy stitching, everyone.

Suztats said...

Basically, the stitch is made on/between 2 horizontal rows. Starting at the right, come up half-way between the lines (A), then needle down to the left at the top line (B) and going straight, out the bottom line (C), pulling your thread through. This creates a 45 degree line between A and B. Wrap the thread to the left up and around the stitch taken to the line between A and B and take the needle behind the line coming out to the right. Pull thread through, but not tightly. Take the needle and thread to the left again wrapping up and around to B, then to A. This time take the needle under the diagonal line, but to the left of the second thread and then over the tail thread, pulling to the left. Pull tightly. This makes a knot that is raised above the fabric, sitting halfway between the two horizontal lines.
The next step is to take the needle to the left and into the fabric at the top line (D), in a straight line, coming out at the bottom line (E) and pulling the thread through, creating another diagonal line. Continue as before.
Hope this is clear enough to understand. If not, please let me know.

Debra Spincic said...

It all works out in the end!

Debra Spincic said...

You da Rebel, Suz!

Judy S. said...

Whichever it is, it looks like you took it to a new level! Nice stitching, Suz! The basque stitch wasn't in any of my books either.

cq4fun said...

Whatever it's called, you've certainly explored it and made interesting use of it!