July 8, 2012

Deborah: TAST - Bonnet Stitch


Bonnet stitch - ignore that small gap where I think I ran out of thread.  I wasn't fond of this stitch at first but it's growing on me.

Below is a shot of the blocks I have completed so far. My June block is the left center one.  On my blog I explained how I messed up and used one of the middle row blocks for the last "aunt" block and had to remove the photos (which I had only basted down, thank goodness).

If I could go back, I'd arrange the pictures so that they travel around the entire piece in a circle. I realized when I put Peggy's block (last row, middle)  next to Mom's (last row, right) that I could have done that - if I'd thought about it. But I didn't, unfortunately. Live and learn.

I think I want to surround the center photo with lots of flowers - perhaps some appliqued, some ribbon, some fabric. Lots of texture and dimension. Or not. We'll see. I don't want just a plain border around that photo.

17 comments:

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Deborah, this is going to be such a special piece. It has such a warm feeling to it. I really like the way you have incorporated the white embroidered pieces to form a sort of star around the center block. When I look at this I do sense a circular movement around the perimeter.

Debra Spincic said...

I like the star too because these women were Stars in your life!

Cy said...

Looking good Deborah. I like the idea of all those flowers surrounding the centre block. It will really make it the focal point then. The eye moves around the quilt outside blocks, and then needs to rest in the middle.

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

Your centre star adds so much to the blocks - interest, movement and contrast and, of course, stars are points of light. I agree with Connie that this will be a special piece and does have a warm feeling.

Suztats said...

Do you have more of the hankies to surround the center picture? Is that what you meant by the flowers? That would certainly make a huge central flowery block that expands into the star. It would make a neat background for more added stitched flowers, too.
I love the repeats of the warm fabrics in the finished blocks. This will be beautiful!

Debra Spincic said...

That's a great idea! --that would help fill in the space so you didn't feel like every bit had to be embroidered.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

You are so right!

Deborah McLaughlin said...

Oh, do I have more linens. I should take a picture...

Deborah McLaughlin said...

Yes - they will always be with me. I really can't emphasize enough their influence in my life.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

I really miss my good camera. I'm going to have to cough up the money to get it fixed.

ladyhawthorne said...

Ditto that!

ladyhawthorne said...

I can relate to that, I have a plastic storage tub full.

ladyhawthorne said...

Your project is just so very wonderful, so many memories stitched into it.

Debra Spincic said...

If you have more linens, you could applique some new edges over those really straight lines (if they bother you). Maybe pick some linens with curved ends and use that part.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

thank you - just had two of my cousins over to look through my old photos - they loved the quilt!

Peacock said...

What a great treat to see all your blocks together! I love how the colors are working, and I love the points of an eight-point star at the center! How clever you are!

Deborah McLaughlin said...

Thanks!!!