July 29, 2012

Cy - TAST Oyster & CQJP WIP


TAST week 30 Oyster Stitch

What a peculiar stitch this was. I had trouble getting the 1st part (the twisted chain) to stay down, but I think I eventually got it to BEHAVE enough for a fairly unison finish.

Here is the Oyster Stitch on my CQJP block for July.
Coton A Broder 16 in black on the left and white on the right of this seam.

And here is a little "playtime fun" on my Stitch Journal page
Love these scallops or swags.

And a flower burst

This is my Stitch Journal page for the last month or two.
Not all the stitches are on here as I did some of them straight on to my CQJP without trialing them first, but I shall probably add them to the Stitch Journal at a later date as I want them all together in one place.


CQJP July Block WIP

I have been gradually adding seam treatments and embellishment to the July Crazy Quilt block, and working through some problem areas with it.

Remember this from last week
Well, I didn't like it so I frogged it...... rippit, rippit,rippit.

And in it's place is this....
I'm not sure what it is meant to be haha.... but it was fun to do and it's staying.
It's possible that I got a little bit influenced by the Olympics. 

The crocheted trim that I added last week has had it's ribbon embellishment added, and I used a tiny cross-stitch in a light green metallic thread to anchor the ribbon in place rather than weaving the ribbon like I first intended.
As usual though, the metallic thread does not photograph well.
I wanted this trim to have a gentle and delicate look, as there are already too many 'chunky' seams on the block.


One more freeform stitched seam this week is this one that is not finished yet. I'm not going to think about what it needs yet, just have to wait and see what happens on the end of my needle on the day it gets it's topping.

Lots of beads to be added to the July block over the next couple of days hopefully, and then it will be finished before next weekends reveal.
That's all for now.
I hope you have a great stitching week ahead.


Happy Stitching

18 comments:

ladyhawthorne said...

Nice oysters! The whole seam area is beautifully done and the thread choices are well balanced.
Love the replacement area too. Even if I didn't not like the original, the new is simply superb.
The freeform stitching is quite handsome as well, simple but very effective.

Debra Spincic said...

My uneducated guess is that the larger you make the oyster, the harder it is to keep everything in place. My tendency is to make shriveled up little raisin looking stitches.

I certainly liked the buttonhole stitching but the replacement is well done too. Is it a buttonhole stitch over a ring or something circular? It's very clever with the many layers.

Cy said...

Thanks Angela. I prefer it with the replaced seam now.

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

Your oyster flower certainly lives up to its name - it really zings and your replacement seam treatment certainly has an olympian feel - "go Team New Zealand" Oh, I shouldn't say that! Crocheted trim looks very effective and the freeform seam reminds me of planting boxes with little flowers growing from the black fabric.

Cy said...

Yes Debra, it's buttonhole stitch over curtain rings, and rather time consuming, lol.

Debra Spincic said...

that's what I thought--reminded me how much I don't want to try that idea! Ha! ha!

Cy said...

Oh yes, I can see those plant boxes too now.
I'm not a huge sports fan, and my loyalties are split because I'm British but living in NZ, so I won't be supporting one particular team, lol.

Suztats said...

Love the rings. Are they placed over buttons? Looks wonderful.
You have a beautiful oyster seam treatment! That's a lot of oysters, but it looks very uniform, and quite sharp.
In the garden centers, there are little grey cement(real or resin) that have raised squares on them with designs in the center. Your free-form seam treatment reminded me of them right away. On the left of that pic, it looks like some of the white plants on the black fabric are growing out of the planters. perfect.

Suztats said...

ooops....that's little grey planter pots

Debra Spincic said...

Oh yes! I see that now too.

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

Thought they might be. We have relatives in Australia and they feel the same.

Judy S. said...

Flower pots popped into my head too; only I didn't notice how some of the fabric flowers were perfectly placed until Suz pointed that out. Cool! Nice stitching, Cy! Your oysters look great. How'd you finally nail down the loose thread? That plagued me also. Thick thread and small oysters seem key, but any other tips?

Cy said...

That loose troublesome thread I held down with my left thumb while inserting the needle in the "Mary Corbet" way. This was ok on the detached oysters, but with my thumb constantly on top of the stitching with the flower burst I found that it sort of 'crushed' the oyster stitches resulting in a flattened flower rather than the texture I was hoping for. Ah well.

Debra Spincic said...

My motto for this challenge has become--try it and move on. I'm not as concerned about how everything looks when done and I think that has freed me to 'just do it' (to borrow a slogan). I figure no one is really going to see my finished journal anyway & if they do, they won't know the difference.

Cy said...

Excellent words Debra, thanks. I'm moving on now ;)

Debra Spincic said...

On to that fine algerian eye stitch . . . .

cq4fun said...

Every single thing looks so beautiful, but I especially liked the way the red and pink worked together. The silk ribbon gone! Boohoo! But the Olympic rings coloring is very nice there, too. That freeform seam you showed at the end was very appealing!

Peacock said...

Cy, I just adore your set of five rings! Are the buttons set inside plastic rings covered with buttonhole stitch?