July 29, 2012

Angela~ Oyster Stitch


Oyster stitch was another fiddly stitch but I like how it looks, I can see many uses and designs for this one.  I used 3 strands of cotton floss but pearl cotton would have been a better choice.  Since I am using what I have without buying anything else, it will have to do.
click the pic to see it larger
My history for this week: July 24, 1866 was the day that Tennessee was re-admitted to the Union after the Civil War, the first state to be re-admitted.  That may have something to do with TN being a state that was split over loyalties, literally brother fought brother, one in blue and one in gray.  My father's family is from the northeast corner of TN and my ancestors fought for the North.
Visit my blog if you are interested in more family history.

8 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

I'm noticing how well the most recent stitches work for outlining. Super!

Judy S. said...

Interesting hisoty tidbit and great use of this stitch. I, too, am trying to use up stash....

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

What did I say? Another great example of our weekly stitch.

ladyhawthorne said...

Pretty simple use, but it's a bit hard making the history item fit with the stitch sometimes, it was Thursday before I got started on this one.

Cy said...

Great interpretation of the stitch to emphasize your history theme this week. Sometimes we have to stretch our creativity to suit, and you do it so well.
I like the photo of your Gt. Grandfather on your blog. Well done for going back so far with your family tree. I once managed to get as far back as King Alfred (he who burnt the cakes) but then I got confused and lost the connection, doh! I also have Admiral Benbow in my family tree. Talk about skeletons in the cupboard. For years I thought he was a good guy, then I found out he was a pirate.

Suztats said...

Angela, I'd been wondering how you were going to use this stitch. You never disappoint. I hadn't thought of using the oyster stitch for outlining, but it works well. Nicely done.

ladyhawthorne said...

Cy, those black sheep in the family are the most interesting.

cq4fun said...

How fun to look at your post and see my current state! I still don't quite think of it as home, but the people here are wonderful. I love what you did with this one. The oyster stitch worked very nicely as the highlighting state border!