July 22, 2012

Angela ~ Basque Stitch & Russian Saints

This was a pretty easy stitch and although a bit fiddly, I truly liked working it.  It goes fairly quickly and you get a lot of design for your effort.  
click to make the image larger
I used a brown pearl cotton in satin stitch for the Orthodox cross and 3 strands of a variegated brown/gold cotton floss for the stem stitched IC XC and the basque stitch surround.  The lettering was done with a smaller pearl cotton in brown.

I chose my subject because I am Orthodox and I have read several books about the Russian royal family, their life and their sad demise.  They were horrendously assassinated by the Bolsheviks on July 17, 1918, even though Nicholas II had already abdicated as they wished.  They just could not trust that the royals would not win favor and take back their thrones.

There's a little more about their story on my blog if you care to read it and view an icon of the saints.

13 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

You certainly got a nice pointed ruffled look to your cross. I will need to remember that for my religious stitchings. Very pretty, Angela!

Enjoyed the information on your blog too.

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

When I try to access your blog I'm told that my account does not have access, strange as I've not encountered this problem previously. Really like what you've achieved with this stitch it looks perfect for your cross. Such a very sad story and one that has always captured my imagination.

Suztats said...

The basque looks perfect for cross surround! A very sad story. I was always intrigued by the tales of a possible survivor. Nice design, and stitching.

ladyhawthorne said...

I haven't changed anything to the blog. Try clearing the cookies from your cache and try again.

ladyhawthorne said...

They actually did find the remains of the Alexei & the last daughter a few years back, thanks to dna it was proved they were 2 of the heirs of the right age and sex.

Judy S. said...

Another interesting post, Angela. That stitch makes a perfect edging for the cross. Neat how it goes around curves, isn't it? Very pretty!

Cy said...

A very sad side to the history lesson this week, but it is a story that still needs to be told.
This stitch makes your cross look like it is made of solid gold with a carved or molded edge. Very nice effect. Your creativity continues to inspire me.

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Your lesson is indeed sad, but the stitched cross is so elegant. I will have to remember this one.

Barbara C said...

The stitch outlines your crucifix beautifully. Thanks for showing the icon on your blog, I've never seen it before.

cq4fun said...

I love the way the cross looks with that stitch. It does have a very Russian feeling about it.

cq4fun said...

btw, google tells me my current google account does not have access to your blog.

ladyhawthorne said...

I have no idea what is going on as I have not changed anything. You might try clearing the cookies from your cache in your browser, it helps clear up a lot of things.

Peacock said...

The cross you made from Basque stitch is just lovely. I agree, it has a very Russian feeling. I am not completely unfamilar with that period of Russian history. Very sad.

Re: the link to your blog-- it's the link that has some sort of problem, not your blog itself. When I click on the link, it tells me also that "you do not have access to view this page" but when I go to your blog by the link on the sidebar, it works fine.
Here's a revised "link" (cut and paste) that I think will go where you wanted it to:
http://canterburycottageherbals.blogspot.com/2012/07/of-russian-saints.html