June 30, 2012

Judy~Back in the Saddle Again~Cable Chain and Palestrina Stitches TAST and June Block

Being gone for 10 days made June feel like an extraordinarily short month! Lots of stitching happened this week both to catch up and then finish the June block. I made it, and Sue doesn't look the least bit frazzled, does she?
Once I got the hang of the cable chain, thanks to Debra's french knot hint, I actually grew to enjoy this stitch. However, I sure was glad Sue's bonnet wasn't any bigger!

All the while I was fiddling with the Palestrina stitch, I was wondering whether this was the same music-Palestrina-person. (Note to self: look this up!) My attempts were pretty feeble, sadly. This stitch just isn't designed for 2 strands of embroidery floss. In case you don't recognize it, the stitch is on the edge of her sleeve and on the watering can. I got a little carried away with french knots there. I did have fun with the star stitch on her sleeve though.

So here she is, June's Sunbonnet Sue, working hard in her garden. I had great fun with the daisy-like flowers. The edge is two 24-wrapped bullion knots couched down. To tone down the satin stitch filling I used a single strand of floss and made some fly stitches. The leaves are done with fishbone stitch, another fun one if you've not yet tried it. On to July, I wonder what stitches Sharon will assign this time?

15 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

It's a cute block all the way around! I'm sure you are happy to be caught up and ready for July.

How about a picture of the 6 all together?

I am assuming your goal for the remainder of the year is to "Stay Calm and Carry On! with SBS".

CarolynnS said...

I've been gone more than I've been home for the last six months! That makes it really hard to keep up with the stitching. I applaud you for getting your blocks done none-the-less! Sun bonnet Sue is a sweetie!

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

The little bird and mouse are adorable. I agree the heavier threads work better for this stitch, but it does look nice on her sleeve. Your block looks really nice and I' with Debra on wanting to see a half-dozen SBSs.

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

I forgot to also mention what a nice effect the cable chain is on the hat. Perfect texture.

Debra Spincic said...

Yes, I agree--the cable on the hat is perfect!

Suztats said...

Judy, I think Sue looks quite cool out in the garden. I really like pink stars on her sleeve and how they reflect the same shapes on her hat brim and the flowers on her hem. I think palestrina is best used with a really thick thread, or a fine rope. (wish I'd thought of that for mine) but i think it looks great paired with the french knots. A delightful block with lots of interesting textures.

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

Sue is a Princess gardening in her best attire with a little watering here and there. Who picks up the weeds? Cable chain on her hat works a treat. Great block.

ladyhawthorne said...

I'm in agreement on the hat, makes it look like a perfect summer straw hat.

ladyhawthorne said...

I bet Sue has a sweet beau to pick up her weeds for her. She's so very cute!

Judy S. said...

UM....Sue would like it to be known that there are NO weeds in her garden! (At least at the moment. lol)

Judy S. said...

I'll put them on my blog soon. That way it won't take up extra space or isn't that a concern anymore?

Debra Spincic said...

Put them on your blog and then link back here. Or, once you've posted, you can copy the photos and post them here. It's just the downloaded photos that take up album space.

cq4fun said...

Amazing and beautiful stitching. When you first started this idea, I wasn't sure how you were going to make it work, but you are doing a super job! I LOVE the straw-looking hat crown with the chain stitches!

Cy said...

Cute as can be. Great job on the cable chain on the hat.
Very difficult to do that Palestrina stitch with just two threads. I'm actually amazed you did such a good job with it.

Barbara C said...

Great job Judy. You've really done a lot with this project. One of these days I'd like to do a state birds quilt, and your project is making me see that a lot of interesting stitching can be used on these projects.