June 9, 2012

Debra- TAST: Knotted Cretan Stitch

The Knotted Cretan is a tricky little bugger if you aren't fluid stitching Cretan. Cretan is not a "Go To" stitch for me so I had to take some time to think through the steps. Once I got it, I rather liked the knotted version more than the plain version. Here's my new yellow green block example along with some seams I stitched on my TX Mockingbird Panel.

Why I thought I needed to add those bullion stitches inside the cretan is beyond me. 

I've been using more of my alternative threads on the TX Mockingbird panel.  I certainly like the way this ribbon looks stitched with the knots.  Same for the crewel wool in the below picture.
A catch up week tends to slow my momentum. Hopefully this next week we will have an interesting stitch and be back on track.

12 comments:

Judy S. said...

This stitch is tricky for me too, but I like the way the knots keep it in place. Yours look great to me! I also really like the way you "nailed down" that yarn with the butterfly chain. Hope there are more photos on your blog! Off to see.....

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

I think your week's stitching looks great. Nice way to overcome your aversion to the Cretan stitch by tackling the knotted version. I like your couched yarn also.

Barbara C said...

I love the look of crewel and other textured threads. Nice work.

Judy S. said...

Welcome home! Hope you had a fabulous trip.

Barbara C said...

Thanks Judy, I just posted some photos of the trip on my blog: xicanartista.blogspot.com

ladyhawthorne said...

I'm with you, I liked the knotted version better once I got it down.

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

Really like your Knotted Cretan using alternative threads, lots of texture there. The couched ribbon and butterfly stitch very effective and the gold KC is a great contrast colour.

Debra Spincic said...

Thank you ladies! Onward to next week, eh?

Cy said...

Lovely neat work on the knotted cretan Debra. I found it a difficult stitch to control and mine became very irregular. It will probably not have a place on my 'go to' list, but I see you mastered it very well.

Suztats said...

Looking very good, Debra. I like the textural look to the ribbon.

Debra Spincic said...

I found the knots slipped a bit here and there until I really gave them a tight pull.

Mary-Frances Main said...

I love the one in the middle and now realize I did mine all wrong - oh well not sure I adore the stitch anyway! ha ha! Yours look great!